Chapter 12

Chapter 12
Jacqueline

1988-89

"You know I love that song, baby." I tell Mike as we all walk out of the Philly venue together.

"Yeah. I know you like the beat more than anything. I can't lie, I like the dance too," Mike smiles while swinging our arms together. "It's just crazy how every city has a different response to the song, you know? Like, what's wrong with it?"

"Nothing. The girls may not like you saying that they aren't what you want." I smile teasingly. His smile gets bigger.

"We made $30 million this year," Ricky says randomly as he comes up to us. "I say we're set."

"That's before taxes, Rick." Mike says before stopping in front of the bus.

"You think too much." Ricky hits his arm lightly before getting on the bus.

"This nigga." Mike shakes his head. I smile at him as I start to climb the steps of the bus. Mike follows after me until someone calls him. We both turn around.

"Excuse me. We were wondering if we could sing for you. We love your music." The boy says as he looks at me and Mike.

"You want to sing for us?" I ask and he nods. I look at Mike. "Sure. We'll listen."

He waves his friends over. This has to be Boyz II Men. They set up around the bus door and start singing Can You Stand the Rain.

"Alright. Alright," Mike cuts them off. "What's y'all name? Y'all got one?"

"Well, I'm Nate. This is my boy Wanyé and that's Shawn. This is—"

"No. What do y'all call yourself?" I ask.

"Don't laugh but we've been calling ourselves Boyz II Men," Nate says as Mike laughs and I smile. "After your song."

Mike just stares at them for a second. I wrap my arms around his neck. "Go on, babe. Help them like Brooke helped you." I whisper in his ear.

"Here," Mike pulls a card out of his jacket. "This is the hotel I'll be staying at here for two weeks. Give me a call."

"Thank you!" Nate smiles before they all walk off with big smiles.

"Baby, this could be the start of something special." I say with a smile before kissing his cheek and going into the bus. He follows me on and we sit towards the middle where we always sit together.

Steph and Cassie find their way on the bus with Ronnie before we leave for the hotel. Brooke, Johnny, and Ralph got on the bus before Ricky, and Bobby has his own so we weren't leaving anyone behind.

"If you say so." Mike says nervously.

"I have faith in you. You've been learning the business for a reason. You have a purpose. New Edition has set you up for a lot of opportunities and avenues. But you aren't alone. I'm here with you." I kiss him softly and he smiles halfheartedly.

"I guess." He leans his head on my shoulder. The bus starts moving once Brooke tells the driver to go.

"So," Cassie stands up and looks at us from the front of the bus with Ralph. "This is a good time to say this."

"Shut up, Rosa. Us black niggas don't wanna hear what you have to say from the front of the bus!" Ricky jokes from the back of the bus and Johnny laughs with Steph next to him.

"Just cuz y'all niggas in the field and the rest of us in the house don't mean you gotta be rude," Cassie says and we all laugh. "For real though. This is serious."