Chapter 30

Chapter 30
Cassandra

1997-98

We finished the tour without Bobby or Mike. Mike just couldn't take it and left early. He wanted to take his and Jacque's kids with him but Jacque wasn't haven't that. She wanted the kids to experience things other kids normally don't.

The guys were very tense with each other because of the fight in New Mexico. Security was beefed up and all personnel and people entering the venues were searched for weapons. It upset fans but it was explained that it was for their and our protection.

Brooke didn't return for the tour because he needed to rest. He finally gave up smoking and is trying to work on getting strong again.

After tour ended, we all kind of did our own thing. Raising the kids, doing one or two small performances as groups. Well, New Edition and BBD did. Steph, Jacque, and I have performed together as much as we possibly can. Especially with the kids. Jackson, Kim, and Lucy have become our shadows. They are always performing with us or as subsistions to us. We have had backlash and ridicule for having our children in the spotlight at such young ages but it's what they want so we won't deny them that.

"I'm going back to school," I tell Ralph one night as we sit up in our room working on different projects. "I need to finish. I only have one more year. I finished a year and a half back in '85, '86. And another year and a half after Kim was born. That's three years of school. I only need one more."

"Then go back. No one's stopping you. The kids are six, seven, and eight. I'll watch them or the nanny. Go back, Cee Cee. If it's what you want to do." Ralph says as he writes lyrics. He shakes his head and sets the paper down. He looks at me for a long time before sighing.

"What, Rizzy?" I open my arms for him to lean into like the big baby he likes to be treated as. Every man is a baby on the inside, and my Ralph is no exception.

"Do you think the guys and I will get back together?" He quickly leans into my arms. "We can hardly look at each other when Mike or Johnny drops the kids off to play with Rizz and Kim and Lucy. And I haven't talked to Ronnie since the tour ended. Ricky or Bobby. They're my brothers."

"I know, Rizzy. You love and miss them," I say and he just nods. "Of course you'll get back together. Like you said, you're brothers. You have a bond no one else can understand— I mean, except for me, Steph, and Jacque."

"But when?" Ralph wraps his arms around my waist as his head lays on my chest.

"Soon. Very soon," I answer before looking at the time. "I have to go to sleep. We're going on Arsenio to talk about us and to perform."

"Okay." He turns off his light and reaches over me to turn off mine. He lays on top me jokingly.

"Get off, Ralph. And don't even think about doing something sexual. I do not have the time or energy for that tonight." I push him and he laughs.

"Girl, I could fall on top of you anytime of the day and never be tired," He kisses my neck as he chuckles. "Girl, you know you still look as good as you did when we were kids?"

"Yeah. I know. Black don't crack, baby," I smile. "Now, I'm serious. I have to go to sleep."

"Alright. Alright. Fine," He wraps his arms me and gets comfortable to sleep. "Love you."

"Love you too." I reply before letting myself sleep.

***