Chapter 28

Chapter 28
Stephanie

No Time

When we disappeared as Brooke suffered from a heart attack, I saw my 1996 self and Bobby like I did when we jumped a year ago.

"You jumped." I say to my 1996 self as we're all thrown into a white nothingness.

"We did. You knew we would." 1996 me says to me. This is as weird as it gets.

"Of course we knew." Another voice says and we all look to see three girls that look remarkably like Jacque, Cassie, and me.

"And who are you? Where the fuck are we?" Jacque asks. This is the worst to hear this part all over again. I just want to hear what happens next.

"The people you replaced in 1985." The one that looks like Jacque says.

"So you're here to tell us where we go next?" Cassie asks.

Before they answer, they look at 1996 me and Bobby. "You aren't supposed to be here. You won't find out until it's your time. Don't ever try to jump again." The one that looks like Cassie says before plucking them on the forehead.

Once they disappear, they look at us. "We have some time to figure things out. To talk things through. Everything has been paused in 2017 and in 1997." The me look alike says.

"What should we call you?" Jacque asks.

"Our names are the same. We're Stephanie, Jacqueline, and Cassandra. Steph, Jacque, and Cassie. But we made it easier for all of us. In 2017, we have everyone call us Annie, Lynn, and Andra. You know, the ending sounds of our names." The one that looks like Jacque— Lynn says.

"So, we've already changed the timeline?" I ask. "We're known in 2017?"

"Yes. Very well known. You're legends. Iconic. You're the best selling R-n-B, Pop, and Hip Hop girl group of all time. You're innovators of fashion and music. You started Hiplet— a combination of Hip Hop and Ballet. You also started Black Girl Magic and Black Boy Joy. There's not one thing, place, or person you look at or go to that hasn't been influenced by you in the future." Annie says as she sits down on air.

"Sit. Don't think about it being air. It's like Peter walking on water with Jesus. Just sit." Lynn says as she and Andra sit. We do the same and are being held up by air. This must look very weird.

"So what? Why were we put back in 1985? Why weren't you guys just put back in time? You should have known how they're lives were gonna go." Cassie asks.

"You were put in our places because we didn't do what God had wanted for us to do. We were supposed to become intertwined with New Edition but we went our separate ways because we let their fame and forgetfulness affect and hurt us. We were their best friends but they couldn't call. Wouldn't see us. We didn't want anything to do with them after a long time of neglect." Andra answers.

"But then in 1997, we were driving to New York from the OP. Our car randomly ran off a bridge and we started sinking in the water below. No one saw us. No one knew where we were. No one could save us. They just know that we died." Lynn says and they get sad.

"Well, we thought we had died. We were actually put in this holding cell place. We call it the White Place. Stupid, but you know," Annie shrugs apologetically. "We felt we were only here for a few minutes but 20 years had passed as we waited. Just before we were put in 2017 and you in 1985, this angel came up to us and told us what God had planned for all of us. We would live your lives in 2017 and you ours in 1985. You were to correct our mistakes. Do what we were supposed to. Basically give us a second chance that most don't get."