Chapter 24

Chapter 24
Jacqueline

1995-96

"Why do we have to be here today? What's so special?" Mike asks me as he and the other guys crowd into the recording studio.

We asked them to come listen to us record the last three songs for our album. It'll release 1 January 1996 just in time for the Grammys where we'll be performing to celebrate our many years of success in the industry. We've won the Grammy for Best Pop Duo/Group every year since 1991. We have eight Grammys, and 1996 we will win more. We just want to leave a great legacy for us and our kids in case we do leave them.

"Because these three songs sum up everything." I answer and that's all I give them.

"Fine. Who's first?" Ralph asks.

"I am." Cassie takes a deep breath and enters the booth with her lyrics sheet clutched tightly in her hands. Steph sits at the soundboard with Jimmy and Terry as I stand behind her. Cassie takes many deep breaths as she puts the headphones on.

"You ready?" Steph asks and Cassie just nods as she looks down at the lyrics sheet, not us.

"And if you weren't gonna guide me, why bring me into the light? Must have done something to make you want to run and hide. Why oh why didn't you just live your life? And every girl wants a baby. And damnit I needed you. Instead you ducked for cover. And you ran from me. And like little kids do you waited around for proof.

"Maybe I didn't deserve you. Maybe I just couldn't cure you. They told me that I didn't hurt you. Why do I feel like I turned you? And maybe I don't understand it. Tell me is this how you planned it? Did you see us so stranded? Maybe I'm too much to manage. Maybe I didn't deserve you."

Ralph cries silently as Cassie finishes with tears streaking her face. "Do you want to go over it again? Or that's it? First draft, only draft?" Terry asks, trying to defuse some of the tension.

"First draft," Cassie says and leaves the booth. She wipes her tears before walking over to Ralph and wiping his. "It's okay. We have three beautiful kids."

"Yeah." Ralph nods and pulls Cassie in his lap.

I stand up and go into the booth. "I'm going to do it two times. Whether the first one is good or not."

"So Jacque is about to rap? For real? That's going to throw the whole vibe off if you start rapping." Ronnie says.

"Shut up," Steph snaps. "Playback."

"I hope life treats you kind. And I hope you have all you've dreamed of. And I wish you joy and happiness. But above all this I wish you love. And I... will always love you. I will always love you. I will always love you. I will always love you." I sing and the guys are blown away.

"Didn't know she could blow like that, huh?" Cassie laughs.

"One more time, please?" I say with a smile.

"Add more to the end. Feel it a little more." Steph says and Terry and Jimmy nod in agreement.

I just nod before looking at Mike. This time when I sing, I put my all into it and it shows because all of the guys are visibly upset. When I leave the booth, Mike pulls me into a tight hug.

"Steph, it's your turn." I say and she sighs.

"I'm sorry," Steph tells the guys before going to the booth. Cassie and I follow her to do backup vocals. "We're ready." Steph tells Jimmy and Terry after we've put on the headphones.