Chapter 29

Chapter 29
Johnny

1997

"Ralph! Ralph!" I shout for Ralph as I look around for Steph and her sisters. "Where are the girls?"

"What?" Ralph looks behind us where we pushed the girls when the fighting started. "Shit. Where did they go?"

"Where's Unc?" Ronnie yells as security floods the space. "Where's my uncle?"

"Let me go!" Bobby jerks out of a security guard's hold and runs into the hall.

Ricky, Ronnie, Mike, Ralph, and I follow after him. The girls are in the hall with Brooke. They look completely calm in the mist of chaos.

"Unc! Brooke!" Ronnie runs over and slides on the ground to help his uncle. "Get help! Please. Help!"

Bobby goes running to find help and paramedics come racing down the hall without him a few minutes later. The paramedics make us clear the space so they get to Brooke.

We run after the gurney and Ronnie tries to get in the back of ambulance but they stop him. "That's my uncle, man!" Ronnie yells but Ricky and I grab him. "No. Let me go. That's my uncle!"

The ambulance drives off. "He just had a heart attack. He shouldn't be alone!" Ronnie yells.

"Calm down." Steph says softly and Ronnie stares at her.

"Calm down? Calm down? What the fuck, Steph? How can I calm down when my uncle could die?" Ronnie yells in her face.

"Hey man. Back up." I place a warning hand between him and my wife.

"It's fine, Johnny." Steph moves my hand down.

"Is Unc going to be okay?" Bobby runs up.

"Man, what the fuck do you care? It's your damn fault." Ronnie snaps at Bobby.

"My fault? I ain't cause his heart attack," Bobby snaps. "Man, I did y'all a fucking favor coming back to this damn group. As far as I'm concern, New Edition is dead and it's been that way since I left the group. Sorry. Since I got kicked out."

"Did us a favor?" I ask. Steph grabs my arm.

"Johnny, no." Steph tries to stop me.

I push her hand back as I stare Bobby down. "You ain't do me no damn favors. I put my fucking all in this bullshit. Never missed one damn recording session or rehearsal."

"Good for you. I don't give a fuck," Bobby snaps. "I'm done with this shit." He stalks off.

"Guys, wait." Jacque tries to stop us from exploding even more.

"What about the group?" Ricky asks.

"What group, Slick?" Mike asks. "This ain't no group."

He starts to walk off with Ronnie and Cassie screams in frustration causing them to turn around.

"Brooke will be okay," Cassie says. "It's not his time, Ronnie. And this group isn't over. Get out of your heads."

"No one wants to know why we're still here? Or ask what's happening?" Jacque says and we look at her and her sisters in shock.

"You are here," Ralph says, as we all let the information sink. "You're still here."

"Everyone calm themselves. Now. Steph can talk to Bobby later. We need to get to the hospital to see about Brooke. He knew this was coming. We need to talk." Cassie says. We all look at each other and nod.

Ralph goes to get Michelle, Nicole, and Lori before we get cabs to the hospital where Brooke is being held.

"A heart attack? Will he be okay?" Lori asks as we ride.