Chapter 34

Chapter 34
Stephanie

2000-04

After going on Oprah, the kids have had a backlog of interviews, performances, show appearances, and so much more. But we kept denying them because it was decided that all of the kids spend every summer— May to July— in Boston with our aunt and uncle. We lived in and learned how to live in those projects. These kids only know Hollywood and they need to experience real life or they'll become little spoiled brats.

"Will Uncle Brooke be there?" Lucy asks on the plane ride to Boston from Colorado where they just finished a show. We were very close to Boston.

"Yes. He'll be there to make sure you keep dancing and practicing. Just because you're in Boston doesn't mean you're on break. You have to stay in shape." Ralph answers our oldest daughter as he autographs a piece of paper for a stewardess. We never fly first class with the kids. We always fly coach and have them interact with any fans they see.

"Is it hard in the OP?" RJ asks from the seats next to us. "They won't like us, huh?"

"Because of who we are?" Will asks next to RJ.

"I don't know. Just don't boast— not that y'all do anyway, but they'll hate you if they think you're being bougie." Mike says from behind Will and RJ. The kids frown.

"Never be stuck up, but don't be a push over either. And don't try to be something you're not. This is the projects. The hood. This isn't some preppy, rich brats at a private school who throw their parents' money at people. These are ghetto black kids who have nothing and may never have anything who want what you have, but they know when people are being fake." I say.

"But don't envy or pity them. They hate pity and sympathy." Jacque shakes her head behind me. She is sitting next to Jackson instead next to Mike.

The kids just take in all of the information as the plane starts descending. After we get off the plane and get our luggage, we get cabs that take us to the Orchard Projects where Uncle Eddie and Auntie Aggie are waiting outside of their apartment building for us.

Much like fifteen years ago when Jacque, Cassie, and I turned up from New Orleans, the kids outside stop playing to watch us step out of the cabs.

"It's New Edition!"
"It's SJC!"
"BGT and JKL!"

The kids and adults alike come running over to us to get our autographs and pictures of us. We smile and do as many as we possibly can before excusing ourselves into the apartment building.

"So the girls will stay in Michelle's old room; Tre and the twins in Lori's room; and Will, Wally, and RJ in Nicole's room. Girls, show them to the rooms please." Auntie Aggie asks us.

We bring them to the rooms where they start to unpack their suitcases. "It's been a while since we've been in here." Mike says as he looks around.

"Yeah I know," Uncle Eddie says. "We've missed you. Thank you for saying hello to us on Oprah. Your aunt was on the phone for hours with all of her friends after that."

"Oprah sent me flowers. Oprah!" Aunt Aggie says with the biggest smile. "I was the talk of the OP."

We all laugh. "We have to get going. We have a show tonight downtown." Jacque says.

"The kids won't be performing?" Auntie Aggie asks.

"Oh no. They won't be performing this summer besides the occasional performance at the Rec Center with Brooke. They are here to strictly learn how to be little hood boogers." Ralph says and we laugh as the kids look slightly upset that they wouldn't be performing.

"There will be other opportunities. Why don't y'all go outside and play with the kids? Our friends' grandkids have been waiting to see y'all for the longest," Uncle Eddie suggests and they run outside to play. He looks at me, Jacque, and Cassie. "I'm so happy you decided to send them here."

"It's like when you would come for summers," Auntie Aggie smiles. "It did you so good. Got signed and met the loves of your lives. The same could happen for them."

"It could," Ralph nods. "But not while they're ten. Not my baby girls."

"Shut up, Rizz. You and Zena were together since y'all were like five." Mike rolls his eyes.

"You not worried about your only daughter?" Johnny asks.

"Hell no. I know Jackson is going to beat up these little niggas like Jacque did. I ain't got nothing to worry about for at least another six years." Mike smirks and we all laugh.

"Y'all go on. They're in good hands." Auntie Aggie pushes out of the door.

"Thank you for taking them. We really appreciate it. And everything you've done for us." Cassie, Jacque, and I hug them.

"That's what family does." Uncle Eddie waves us off.

We leave for the cabs and go to a radio station to do an interview before heading over to the venue to perform. Even after performing from 3PM to 8PM, we went back to the OP to do a free concert at the Rec Center for all of the kids in the neighborhood.

There, we saw our kids with their newfound friends. They all looked extremely happy. Way more happy than they were at that private school.

We hug and kiss our kids for one of the last times. We won't see them again until July and that hurts because they've always been at our sides.

"We'll be fine, Momma." Tre kisses my cheek before hugging Johnny and running off with some little girl with very pretty hair.

"What's her name?" Johnny asks Wally as we look at Tre and the girl play.

"Alexus. Apparently she is really shy. She hardly ever plays with the other kids. But Tre went up and spoke to her and she smiled really big. They've been running around together all day." Wally answers before he goes off with RJ and Will behind some other boys. He runs back over to kiss my cheek and hug Johnny.

"Come on. Let's go." Mike says and we all leave the Rec Center to go back to the airport for our flight back to L.A in an hour.

***

After spending 3 summers in Boston, the kids came back with a bunch of lyrics and ideas for songs. They also came back with friends that they've stayed in contact with.

With the kids coming back with new material, we were in the studio day in and day out recording music, making dances for songs, and trying to get them back into the rhythm of the music business.

It was a little hard because they've come accustomed to being regular kids in a span of three months in three summers. At times they forgot that this is what they wanted to do. It took a lot of talks and thinking before they got it together. By August of 2003, both of their albums were done and ready to release. But they wanted to wait another few months because they wanted to have an album release party in Boston for Thanksgiving so that all of their summer friends could be there.

The girls' first single, Don't Give Up (This Goes Out), about the experiences their friends would or may experience was released in September 2003. And the boys' first single, Run It!, was released around the same time. Both compete nonstop for the number 1 spot on the R&B and Pop charts.

In a few months, March 2004, we'll release both albums. At 12, 13, and 14, they are in more control of their careers than most people think they are. But just because they are in more control of their careers doesn't mean we want them to do more mature music. That was one discussion we had to have with the girls and the guys with the boys: just because you feel older than others doesn't mean you are. We've agreed on when Will makes 17 and Lucy 16 they can start making more mature music. Until then, they'll continue to have a more "bubble gum" sound.

As we've made sure the kids were taken care of, we have slowly been piecing together material for ourselves. In 2005, we plan to release a 20th anniversary album— a mix of our hit singles and of new songs. It'll be hard to juggle our careers and theirs but we'll get it together and make it our best.