Chapter 20

Chapter 20
Jacqueline

1992

After winning the Best Pop Duo/Group Performance and Best R&B Duo/Group Performance Grammys again for our performances at different award shows after our first headlining tour, the girls and I took breaks to take care of our kids and the guys' careers.

The managing side was slightly easier than performing. We got to pick a lot of different events and things for the guys to do. Of course, we spent more time apart than together but it just made those times when we would get together as SJC to do little performances here and there more special.

Mike and I didn't tell everyone I was expecting another child for a few months because it was hard to get everyone in one spot. As of June 1st 1992, I'm now eight months and I hope it's a girl.

It wasn't too much of a shock when, at the same time, Steph and Johnny told us they were expecting another child. It was scary as hell when Cassie said she was expecting another one. With her medical history and issues, we were all worried as hell and still are.

In a few months, we'll be back to traveling and performing all over the U.S.

"Does Steph seem okay to you?" I ask Mike as we all take a much needed break. Everyone is at Steph and Johnny's house to swim, eat, relax, and unwind together for the first time in five months.

"No," Mike shakes his head. We steal quick glances at Steph who looks sick and like she could pass out at any minute. "She looks sick. I think J.G should take her to the hospital."

"Me too," I look over at Cassie and Ralph. Cassie was on a very restrictive bedrest. She can hardly leave Los Angeles much less her home and it drives her insane. So she was currently reclined in a pool chair as Ralph held RJ and Lucy in the water to "swim". "Cassie looks fine though. Like she could take on an army. It must be the bedrest."

"Maybe. Or that she isn't at such a high risk as we think. God works in mysterious ways, Jack." Mike says as he gets a call from his pager. He looks at it and shakes his head dismissively.

"Who is it?" I ask.

"Some random number," He answers quickly. "Want something to eat? I was going to wake the boys up and take them in the pool. I can get you something to eat on the way."

I just stare at him, questioning why he would change the subject so quickly. "No, sweetie. I'm fine." I answer.

"Yes you are." He stands and kisses me. He keeps at it for some time before pulling away. He smiles widely before walking into the house to get the boys.

The kiss was too much. It almost made me forget his suspicious behavior. But it only made me more curious.

I just sigh to myself and pray that he isn't cheating or doing anything sneaky like that. I don't think I could take it.

"Hey Jacque," Ronnie sits at the end of the pool chair I was lounging on. "Got a big stomach there, huh?"

My eight-month stomach was covered with a very large white shirt. "Yeah kinda." I answer with a halfhearted smile.

"You okay? Did Mike do something stupid?" He asks me and I frown.

"I don't know. He's being weird. He got a call on his pager, said it was a random number, then changed the subject and kissed me for a long time before going inside. It's suspicious." I answer. Ronnie looks at me in thought.

"He hasn't done anything while we've been touring. He ignores all of the girls and groupies when they flirt with him. He flashes his ring quickly and pulls out that picture of you and the boys. Then he starts talking about how much he loves you and the boys and how happy he is being married with a family. He really pulls his family man card. I know he's not cheating, Jacque." Ronnie says and I have to smile. Of course quiet Ron Devoe read into the situation and gave a logical answer. Out of all of the guys, he has to be the smartest. Or at least uses his head more.