Why your nose run when you eat spicy food

Spicy food gives you nothing but pain in your tongue. By the way, our tongue has no taste buds for spicy but rather feels hurt by its spiciness. The CAPSAICIN and Allyl Isothiocyanate are the main components of the chili pepper that makes your mucus gush out from your nose, burn your mouth, and cry due to the unbearable pain.

Capsaicin is responsible for causing the burning sensation when in contact with the bodily tissues. While Allyl isothiocyanate is defined by Wikipedia as a colorless oil responsible for the pungent taste of mustard, radish, wasabi, and horseradish. When capsaicin together with the Allyl isothiocyanate is consumed, it will irritate the mucous membrane of the nose which forced to produce more mucus to combat those presumed entered harmful foreign agents.

And the best remedy when you accidentally eat a hot spicy chili is to drink milk or eat something that could absorb the oiliness of that chili. Capsaicin has an oily quality that makes drinking water ineffective to wash away. Only milk can save your burning soul or rice or bread or something that may absorb an oil except water. As we all know, water and oil can never mix. Or if you have no milk or anything edible solid around, you can make yourself potable water with a dissolved sugar in it, which is another panacea to the poor burned tongue.