Chapter Eleven

The boy stared down at you, his own eyes tearing up.

"Please, Mister, don't cry," you said, gently touching his shoulder in an attempt to comfort him. "I'm sorry if it was for anything I have done."

"Miss (L/n)," Kaz suddenly said, walking to the other side of the hospital bed. "How old do you think you are?"

"I'm eighteen," you answered, looking up at Kaz. "It's weird, I feel like I lost a bunch of time."

"You have," he bluntly stated before addressing Chase. "Therapy may help, but there's no say that she'll ever fully recover."

Chase nodded. "She just has to remember the last couple months. That'll give her a good start."

You looked back at Chase. His eyes were... familiar, but you couldn't quite place it. His brown eyes. Your (e/c) eyes. They met in a collision that was intense, like ice to salt.

"Please," he whispered, tears refilling his eyes. He fell to his knees, holding your soft hand in his. "Please remember."

"I-I'm sorry," you answered, your hand squeezing his. "I re-really want to re-remember. I-I can see th-that it's tearing you apart." He looked up at you, his eyes full of hope as he squeezed your hand. "But life isn't a fairytale."

You pulled your hand out of his, crossing your arms. "I'm sorry," you said, looking at the boy, "But you heard the doctor. The chances of my memory coming back... it's practically impossible."

Chase's head fell into his hands as you heard the heart-wrenching sound of him sobbing.

"Chase, you need to get out of here," Kaz said, grabbing Chase's arm. "Get out of here!"

"No!" Chase yelled. "P-please, please remember!"

Outside, Adam silently sobbed as he waited for Chase to come back out. What caught his attention was Chase's shouting, which travelled through the hallways. He rushed into the room, finding a crying Chase, a crying (Y/n), and a Kaz attempting to get Chase out of there.

"CHASE!" Adam shouted, making everyone stop what they were doing and go so silent that you could hear a pin drop from a mile away. "Chase, come on. You both had a nice run together, but you just have to wait and see if she'll recover."

"NO!"

"CHASE! Get your crap together! Calm down! We have more important things to do than just cry and wait here. We have to save the world! We have to keep everyone safe. We... we have to do what made her memory go." Adam wrapped his arms around Chase. "I know," he mumbled, "I already miss her, too. We just have to wait. That's all that we can do."

Chase clutched the fabric of Adam's shirt. He nodded and sobbed into Adam's shirt as he carried him out like he was a baby.

"Will... will they be okay?" you asked, looking at Kaz. "And why was that boy so sad? I-I'm not much."

"You mean a lot to them, Miss (L/n)," Kaz said. 

"But why?" you asked, readjusting the sheet on your body. "Why do I mean so much. I never have. Never thought I'd mean so much that I'd make a boy cry."

Kaz shrugged, "If I didn't know any better, I'd say it was love."

"L-love?!" you exclaimed, the heart monitor going a million miles a minute. "N-no!"

"You need to calm down," Kaz said.

"B-but if h-he loves me, and I don't remember him, then... Well what happens in those... what are they, fairytales?" you asked. You had referenced them previously, but that was instinctual.