Chapter Eighteen

Layla Claire sat on her porch, looking out at the ocean. She was lucky to have a home with her family on the beach in Hawaii. Her house wasn't large, but, then again, her family wasn't large either. Only her father, mother, and herself lived in the small, two-bedroom abode.

She got in trouble at school that previous day for yelling at one of her classmates. Her temper tended to grasp her like a vice and get the best of her. It hadn't been that big of a deal before she had dated Chase Davenport; a nerdy kid at her old school. However, when he broke up with her without explanation, she gained a short fuse.

Layla's hazel eyes looked out beyond her porch. The punishment she had been given was that she couldn't go to the shore; that she could look at the ocean, but her bottom couldn't leave the porch.

Naturally, she sat on the edge, her feet in the warm sand.

Something caught her eye. Something... peculiar.

What looked like someone washed up on the shore was just a few yards away from Layla's toes.

"Mom?" she walked inside of her small house. A note was on the fridge.

Layla,

Your father and I are out because of business. Will be home tomorrow.

Mom.

She sighed. They constantly did that.

She exited her home and walked onto the warm, fine sand.

What made her stop abruptly was that she was correct in her conviction. What's more, was that the peculiar person she found was you.

~*~

Chase hadn't moved a single muscle since he arrived back at the Academy.

It wasn't like it was his choice, however.

Adam had injected Chase with a perfectly healthy drug that knocked him out. It was only used for emergencies and Adam was sure that it was one of those times.

"What were you thinking?" Mr. Davenport scolded him once Chase lay peacefully on the couch in the teacher dorms. "You weren't supposed to use the whole syringe. Only half."

"I forgot!" Adam defended himself. "Half a syringe, the whole syringe..."

"He'll be out for a day and a half."

Adam nodded, knowingly. "We'll find her before then."

~*~

You woke up a few hours later. Your head was pounding and you felt like several needles were pricking the flesh of your arms and legs. Your eyes fluttered open, seeing a white ceiling. Four Carribean blue walls surrounded you. A seashell garland hung along each wall, an anchor in each corner.

The bed you were on had a light brown, wickery frame. This made the bed slightly unstable, but it supported your body weight. The pillows that supported your head had a dark, almost Navy blue case. The sheets were the colors of seafoam and sand, and it felt like you were on a cloud.

A wall of windows was to your left. A beige curtain was bunched up at the right side. You could see the ocean through the window.

You sat up a little, a dizzy feeling falling over you.

"You may not want to do that," said a voice from your left. You jumped slightly and saw a girl there. She was your age, if not a little older and she had long, wavy brown hair that was the shade of chocolate, tanned skin, and hazel eyes that reminded you of Chase's. She wore a light blue tank top with white shorts. The tank top read: Adventure. It was in black lettering and an island with a singular palm tree underneath it.