Chapter Seventeen

*A filler chapter, just a warning. Not my best work*

You were numb.

You couldn't feel anything.

The pain lasted only two or three minutes before your self-defense systems came in. You didn't have a Spike. It was probably a glitch in your bionics, but when you needed self-defense, you went numb. It was so you couldn't feel the pain, but sometimes the glitch would glitch. In that case, you couldn't move.

You soon felt anything, the first thing being something wet and warm running down your side. For half a second you thought it was seawater, but as feeling regained in your body, the same wetness and warmth was all around you, except for certain places across your anatomy. That's how you knew that you weren't drowning. You were bleeding.

You curled up, deciding that it would be easier on your broken bones. 

Your faith lied in Mr. Davenport's ability to cough up the money to free Chase and yourself, especially if he had already lost one of his sons.

~~~

Adam remembered the fear that had filled him when he dropped into the sea.

He remembered the impact that woke him up from his slumber.

He remembered the looming form of the shark as it swam toward him.

And then he remembered the person pulling him out. It became hazy as he was tied to the chair in the captain's quarters.

That was when he passed out again.

~~~

"Don't bother," Mason's emotionless voice told Chase as he tightened his grip on his arm. "He's out cold. He's fine, of course. Not dead in the slightest."

"How?" Chase asked, his mouth gaping open at Mason

"We've been studying the four of you a long while. We lucked out with grabbing two of you. The girl is just collateral damage."

He glared at Mason. He knew that painting you as unimportant would make him care less. Maybe nothing worse would happen, too, but that could backfire and Mason would think that you didn't matter to his plan.

"What else do you want?" Chase had decided that not saying anything about the subject would be best. "You took some of the strongest people in the world- the strongest person," Chase pointed at Adam. "There's got to be something more than money."

Mason shrugged. "I dealt with money problems my entire childhood. Funny enough, I'm still dealing with them, and... well, my wife is having twins. I don't want them to grow up how I did."

"So you kidnapped us for your family?"

He nodded, a grim expression darkening his face. "I did. Is that a crime?"

"Yes."

Chase tried to find remorse in his heart of black at that moment, but he couldn't. He hated this man with every fiber of his being. For almost killing his brother. For hurting you. He dug for an ounce of empathy only to come up with scraps of pity. There was nearly nothing in his jet-black heart.

Suddenly, a loud engine noise came from above them, on the room's roof.

Someone was on deck. Then another. One last one before Mason left the room.

Bree looked around the deck, finding your form. She rushed over to you, brushing the hair away from your face. "She's here," Bree said, looking down at your closed eyes.

"Find Chase," Mr. Davenport ordered. Leo nodded and left, exploring.

"Well, well, well," Mason said, adding a few sarcastic paces and claps with his motion. He shoved Chase out of the door, the teenage boy stumbling out, falling in a heap of himself at Mr. Davenport's feet.

"I couldn't find him!" Leo said, exiting the room he had entered. "But I did find some suspicious peo-, hello, Chase!"

Chase stood up, a scowl etched on his face. He glared at Mason. 

"How much do you want from me?" Mr. Davenport asked.

"Did you bring the amount I asked you to?" Mason asked. He nodded and pulled out his wallet.

"DON'T!" shouted Adam, exiting the captain's quarters. He panted, his lip bleeding. "Don't do it, Mr. Davenport! I'm okay!"

Mr. Davenport's eyes widened. Not because he saw his oldest son -- who he thought was dead -- alive, but because he saw his oldest son in his underwear. Nothing else.

Mason scowled at him. "Damn it! You were supposed to stay out ten more minutes. You ruined everything!"

"No," Mr. Davenport said calmly. "You ruined it all. Kidnapping my kids and-"

"(Y/n)!" Bree yelled. They all looked at her, finding some of Mason's friends slinging her over their shoulders. Bree was a few feet back, sporting a bloody lip.

Chase could feel the blackness in his heart grow, coldness surrounding him like a shell of ice. She didn't deserve this life. He was ready to attack and they all knew it.

"Make one move toward her, and they'll throw her over," Mason smirked. "You," he pointed at Bree. She stood up. "Come over here."

Bree obliged and stood with her family. They could all sense Chase's anger;  a fire in him radiated, burning bright to melt the ice, fueled by rage, not ramen. They half-expected him to ignite.

"Pay up."

Mr. Davenport glared at Mason and nodded at Bree. In the blink of an eye, she tied Chase and Adam to Mr. Davenport as he shot up a grappling hook up to the helicopter, propelling up to the aircraft. Bree followed.

"NO!" Chase yelled once he realized where he was. He hit the door of the helicopter. "NO! LET ME GO! SHE'S BACK THERE! LET ME GO!" He kept banging on the door as Adam grabbed his arm, holding him back.

"I'm sorry about this," Adam whispered and Chase felt a pricking in his arm before the world went dark.

~*~

Mason's men had dropped you in the ocean anyway. The cold finally brought feeling back into your body. The saltwater burned, but you could breathe underwater. Luckily.

Under the water, you swam underneath the ship to make them think that you were dead.

You knew that you couldn't overuse your bonics, especially underwater. You floated to the top and grabbed onto a lifesaver nearby. The salt in your wounds was intense, so you let yourself sleep, the lifesaver, as well as the waves, slowly moving you toward land.

~~~~~

That was exciting and maybe a little fast-paced, but I kind of like it. It was a filler, and I'll probably add that at the beginning.

Either way, another update! Whoop whoop!

The next one will be more exciting.

That's it.

My cats are in a triangle right now and I'm freaked out.

~Kat.