Chapter Twenty-Two

You stayed there, on Adam's body until Douglas, Leo, and Bree ran back into the room. Douglas had a gigantic needle - syringe? You couldn't tell - in his hands. 

"We just got done," he started as you glanced up at them before looking back at Adam. Pale from his cheeks to his lips. His breathing was shallow, too.

"Just in time, too," Chase affirmed as the ground started to rumble in a solid beat. Thud... thud... thud...

"Who's going to shoot?" asked Adam. You all looked down at him. His face was snow-white. He only had about half an hour left. His voice was as horace and weak-sounding as the rest of him looked.

Bree stood up before anyone else. "I'll do it."

Everyone's gaze turned to her. Some in shock, others in surprise.

"Okay," Douglas said. "Remember, you have to shoot the poison sac. Once you get the poison sac, we can make it into an anti-venom."

"How long will that take?" asked Leo as his gaze landed on Chase. "Because I'm pretty sure that Chase is going to kill Adam before the venom does at this rate."

Everyone now looked at Chase.

"Your brother is dying!" was the first thing Bree shouted at Chase. "Now is not the time to be jealous!"

Chase just glared at them. You turned to look at Chase, a piercing look on yours. "We're going to talk about this, you know."

Chase looked back at you, and you were startled by the intensity of his glare. "What's there to talk about?" he inquired. "You like Adam. Who am I to intrude?"

He stood up and walked out of the room. You would have continued to talk to him, but you had to keep Adam's heart beating. 

You sighed and face-palmed, replacing your fist with Adam's t-shirt. "I swear to God, Chase, if you spend Adam's last moments hating him, I will never forgive you." You shouted at him. "Especially over something as trivial as this!"

Adam winced when you raised your voice and you assumed that it was because he was sensitive due to the venom that was moving through his veins.

"Sorry, Adam," you apologized before looking back at your... complicated relationship.

A sour expression painted his face.

You sighed. You wished that you had been in Mission Creek with Layla and her parents, and even-

"Sebastian was there?" asked Adam, opening his weak eyes and looking at you.

A wave of confusion swept over you. "What do you mean Adam?"

He let out a shaky breath. "I can feel what you're thinking. Or think what you're thinking. One of the two. Did he do anything?"

"No," you shook your head, looking up at everyone. "But he is dating Layla, the person who took me in."

Fast-approaching footsteps sounded as Chase reentered the dormitory. He let in a gasp of air, covering his mouth. You wondered for half a second how he heard you. "Did you just say, Layla?"

~*~

Layla waited at the airport, her fingers linked with Sebastian's.

"Have you guys seen her?" her parents asked once they met up again.

They shook their heads. Layla bit her lip. "Where could she be?"

They paced around the airport, being asked by security about five times if they were missing someone. How could they explain that their friend was bionic and ran across the ocean and now they couldn't find them?

It was only about four hours later - give or take - that they heard something. Layla's phone rang with a Mission Creek area code illuminated on her screen.

She answered the phone. "Hello? (Y/n)?"

As your voice rang through the phone, Layla felt her heart drop. "I-is he..." she trailed off, hoping you understood what she was saying. A hand went over her mouth as her family looked at her like, 'what-the-heck-is-happening?' "Will he be okay?"

Layla let out a sigh of relief, her hand falling from her mouth. "That's great," she said, a small smile painting her cheeks. "Wait- did you just say Adam Davenport!?"

~*~

Bree popped the poison sac and the anti-venom was made -- with almost not enough time to spare. Adam's breath was uneven and staggering under your hovering body by the time they injected the cure. You remained on his person up until he fell asleep, still pumping the anti-venoms in his body, unable to trust the anti-venom that Douglas had made.

Once sure everything was okay, you stood up and sat on one of the reclining seats. You sighed as you grabbed the phone from your pocket (you had sprung for the underwater safety feature). You dialed Layla's number and told her what had been happening, your cheek nearly hanging up the phone twice with the wetness from your tears. Once done, you relaxed into the seat. Excessively using your bionics nonstop for over three hours was taking its toll on your wellbeing. You were tired, and so ready to pass out on the couch.

You were half-asleep when you felt a blanket fall over your body. You felt the heat coming off of someone, as well as the familiar scent of their body spray.

"I'm sorry," they murmured. "I just didn't want to lose you again." And then you felt someone's lips connect with your forehead. "Have a nice sleep."

As you fell into unconsciousness, you knew that it was Chase.

~*~

Layla sighed as she leaned against the wall of the bathroom hall, waiting for her parents to be done in the bathroom. Sebastian was next to her, rubbing her back.

"Adam nearly died," she had explained. That was all she was saying. When she dated Chase, she and Adam were pretty good friends. They did a lot together before she and Chase started dating, even.

"He'll be okay," Sebastian assured. That was all he would say to her. They were magnetic. They knew what to say to each other in any situation.

But... something happened when she leaned against the wall. A shift in the cement. She looked to the side to discover something black and sleek that hit a nail in Sebastian's head. He'd lost his memory while he had drifted. Enough so he didn't know he was evil. But that sleek, black thing... it was enough to jog something.

"That's a hydraloop," Sebastian spoke knowingly. "And it leads to the Davenports."

~~~

OKAY!

Hello!

That's the end of the chapter. I needed some angst in life.

A COUPLE OF THINGS!

One: Some of you may remember the whole "Chapter Twenty-Two" upload not too long ago. I had accidentally pressed "Publish" instead of "Save" while I was editing. Super sorry.

Two: Back when the finals for America's Got Talent happened, I said that I was going to write an extra special Christmas chapter if Mandy Harvey or Sara and Hero won. They didn't (congratulations to Darci Lynne). I think I might still make one just for the heck of it, but I don't know.

Three: Extremely off topic, but my cat is going to have kittens. Her name is Zelda and I really want to name one Link, but both my siblings hate it, but it's going to be my option, so... I CALL THE FIRST BOY KITTEN! She's due in about two weeks and I am so excited.

SO, next chapter will come out sometime between now and Thanksgiving, but there's no promise. Thank you!

~Kat