Chapter Twenty-Three

*Disclaimer before the chapter starts: PLEASE DON'T HATE LAYLA. I don't think there's any specific reason why you might, but I know there are those couple of people. Just don't. It's all in the past between them. Maybe you missed a few chapters, but they don't like each other anymore. ALSO! You should totally read the Author's Notes. I always put relatively important things in there.*

Chase was in the empty academy, checking a few things when he heard the hydra-loop start and finish. He got into a fighting stance. The whole day was taking a toll on his brain and heart, and he could use a punching bag. Sure there was the fact that the academy had a gym, but he wanted something that would fight back.

"This place is... wow," said a voice that felt like a punch to Chase's gut.

Layla's voice.

"It seems slightly familiar," said another that hit Chase in the back.

Sebastian's voice.

When he said that he wanted a punching bag that would fight back, he hadn't meant this.

He hadn't meant his ex and his ex-best friend.

The ex that he left because he didn't want to put her at risk. He had you now, and he hadn't thought about Layla since Paris, about six months ago, which reminded him that you owed him a hundred dollars, but he wouldn't hold you accountable. It'd just be rude.

They exited the hydra-loop and Chase made eye contact with Layla.

And time stopped.

It didn't stop in a good way.

Hazel met hazel and possibly made the universe explode. Chase was leaning heavily on the cyber desk that he had been using. Her hair had grown longer, reaching her lower back in comparison to her mid-back from the last time they had crossed paths. She still had the freckles that he would always make shapes out of.

Next to her was Sebastian, who wasn't much different. If Chase was gay... he still wouldn't hit that. Maybe if he had to choose.

However, he didn't have much time to think about his sexuality before Layla stomped over to him and slapped him across the face before either of them could comprehend it.

"You asshole," she accused. "Where is she?"

Chase's fingertips connected with his cheek. "I deserved that," he said. "And I don't know who you're talking about."

"Don't play dumb with me, Chase Davenport," she growled.

"Don't bring people who tried to kill my family, the students, and me into my home, then," he rumbled back. He wasn't in a great mood and it didn't help that his cheek stung.

Layla rolled her eyes. "You mean Sebastian? He's harmless."

"Yeah, now he is," Chase grumbled.

The timing was fantastic for Bree to enter the room.

"Oh, dear," she said looking around. She knew Sebastian couldn't do crap without his bionics and she also knew about Chase and Layla's rocky break-up. "Uh, Layla, it's been a while! How've you been?"

Layla's burning hazel eyes turned to look at Bree. Bree had been her good friend. considering that they had been on completely other ends of the status quo.

"Do you know where (Y/n) is? She was supposed to meet me in Mission Creek, but she never made it."

Bree nodded. "She's sleeping. Why don't you catch up with Adam while I talk to Chase?"

Layla's glare turned into a look of sadness. Her offense fell. "Is Adam okay? I heard about what happened."

"He's fine. He's relaxing on the beach, just outside of the building. If you go out those doors, you'll find him. And take Sebastian with you."

Layla nodded and tugged Sebastian outside. She found Adam to be more important than Chase at that moment.

Bree looked at Chase, the false smile gone from her cheeks.

"Your brother nearly died today, Chase. And while he was stumbling to death's door, he almost died with his little brother hating him. All because of a girl. Chase... You need to know about this crazy thing called not being narcissistic. Yeah, sure, you've got a girlfriend, but is that worth more than family?"

Chase sighed. He had known it was coming. He just hadn't expected it so soon. "Of course not, Bree."

"Then prove it."

"How?" Chase inquired.

Bree bit her lip. "Now understand, with what I'm going to tell you isn't some plan to get with your girlfriend. I genuinely don't want you to do this, but I think you need to break up with her."

All color from Chase's face drained.

"No. Why would you say that, Bree?"

"Because you need some time away from her to understand your virtues."

And with those parting words, Bree walked away.

Outside, Layla sat down on the sand next to Adam.

"Hey," she greeted as Adam threw a rock that landed somewhere in the horizon. "You okay?"

Adam sighed, drawing his arms around his knees. "I feel like Chase hates me again."

Layla scoffed. "When does he not?" she joked. Adam didn't even let out a chuckle. Didn't crack a smile. She cleared her throat. "Why does he hate you this time?"

Adam threw another rock, arching his arm and letting the stone fly. "Because I think I like the girl he's with. I mean, she makes me happy, she cares about everyone, and she's all around the best girl I've ever known. I mean, I can't do that to him. To Chase, but I can't help it, you know?"

Layla nodded. "Any girl worthy of your love, but chooses someone else is a girl not worth having. Who's the oblivious, albeit lucky chica?"

Adam threw another rock. "(Y/n)."

*~*

We are nearing the end of Smart Guy.

DON'T WORRY, I'M CONSIDERING A SEQUEL.

In the meantime, my birthday is coming up and I want to do a Q & A for a special. Just inline comment your question by October 31st on this paragraph and from November 1 - 5 I will look through them and answer my favorite ones.

I honestly have no limit, just please, nothing inapro-pro. This is a wholesome story.

Lol, xD not really.

Either way, love you, Kittens!!

~Kat