On the Hunt

||Sasuke ||

It had been two days since we left the Uchiha compound. Luck was on our side since Madara had unexpectedly felt generous that day. He was relentless and ruthless, an Uchiha in every aspect of the name. Yet he seemed bothered by something, almost distracted. His tensed shoulders that refused to budge when he spoke and the unfaltering expression of torment on his face made his hindered mind apparent. His carelessness was what bothered me, especially in a time where there were threats to the Uchiha around every corner, a group of seemingly suspicious strangers were let go unharmed and without much question.  I should be thankful for all of us escaping without an issue, but it didn't rub me the right way. 

I shook my head as if it would immediately disperse the thoughts rotating within my mind. I shouldn't be worrying about the Uchiha right now, I should be worrying about Sakura. Without even speaking her name, I felt that surge of guilt hit me again like a lightning bolt. It felt as if I didn't even deserve that luxury. 

I sat silently across the fire, opposite of Sarada and Karin as they exchanged small campfire stories. Hearing both of their laughs bounce off the trees was a breath of fresh air. It made light of what had become easily disheartening. We still hadn't found her. Their comedic tales were something that seemed to slightly lift their spirits, and I didn't fight it. I knew they had to somehow keep their sanity. You could tell how eager Sarada was to keep moving, to keep searching, but if we were in the middle of a warzone when two of the strongest clans in history were clashing heads then it was better to lay low than draw too much attention.

Though we had been traveling for a few days now, Karin and I hardly spoke a word to each other. Despite the slightest moments I'd catch myself looking at her, I kept repeating those words I spoke to her back in our holding cell. The embers burned vibrantly, dying out slowly as the fire continued to burn on the last bits of dried grass; I could relate to those embers. The same guilt I felt that day, resonated within me; it was like I didn't deserve to speak to Karin let alone look at her. She was right, I was lying to myself, I'd be lying to Sakura. 

"It seems like the fire's getting low. I'll go gather some more branches and twigs to keep it going for another hour or so," Sarada volunteered, dusting the dust from her cream-colored shorts. Terrified to face the tension of sitting across from Karin for any length of time, I rose from my seat in disagreement. "Oh, sit down, I can handle myself. Plus Karin will be able to keep tabs on me."

"Right..." I sighed defeated, reclaiming my spot on the floor. Sarada was as hard-headed as it got. I wasn't sure if it was all from me or Sakura sometimes. I guess our personalities didn't give her much of a fighting chance to steer away from stubbornness. 

As soon as Sarada left, the air around us became heavy, almost unbearably suffocating. In all the years I'd known Karin, there was never an awkward moment, even when she would be clinging to my arm or whisper the explicit details of her desires in my ear. I chuckled to myself about those times when team Taka traveled together. We had grown close, in the most unconventional sense, they were my family just as much as team seven was. 

"Why are you laughing all of a sudden," Karin raised her eyebrow in irritation. A facial expression I had seen her direct towards Suigestu when he'd cross the line, which was more often than so.

"Nothing," I smirked to myself, making her cheeks flood with a crimson anger. It was somewhat enjoyable to watch her become so flustered since I was never the target of her frequent rage, "Sorry. I was just thinking about the old days."

"You? Sasuke Uchiha? Reminiscing?" She collected herself, throwing a bewildered look in my direction. Her glasses slowly lowering in skepticism. 

"Believe it or not, I happen to reminiscence quite often. I'm not just a lump of coal," I admitted, earning a scoff from her. She avoided my gaze, refusing to acknowledge me. I could tell she didn't forgive me, hell, I wouldn't either. I had a reflex of choosing to give everyone around me the cold shoulder. As if that was an actual excuse for what I said...to pretend like nothing happened. I was a bigger joke than I thought. How could I face Sarada as her father and preach about doing the right thing or face Sakura as her husband when I said I would keep the truth from her. As if I knew what was best for her. I barely knew what was best for me or my family after she disappeared.