3 | It Smelled like Metal

Lunch was almost over when I got back.

And Allison was gone.

My heart skipped a beat as a frown carefully made its way on my face. My eyes searched her group of friends and her boyfriend, but I found that they were all talking to each other normally without her.

Where did she go, I thought to myself, picking up my pace.

The bell rang and made me jump a little as the students noisily got up and went for the exit. I rushed out of the cafeteria and stayed near a wall until everyone left. A bit of time passed before the cafeteria was emptied and I pushed off the wall, charging for the exit as well.

The hallways were emptying fast once I got around the corner. There was barely any students present. I walked with a pace to my next class, hoping Allison would be there, until something from the corner of my eyes stopped me.

Near the girl's bathroom, around the wall and corner, Allison stood there with her back faced to me.

She was talking to someone. Or... was someone talking to her?

I peered over with my good eyesight and saw a dark hooded figure standing in front of her. My heart hammered in my chest as my mind analyzed the situation.

Why was she talking to whoever was standing there? Why wasn't she with her group of friends? Who was the dark, hooded figure?

Or... did my wish come true?

I kept my eyes on the two as they seemed to be exchanging something. Allison's back shifted to the left and completely blocked off any view I had of the scene.

I mentally groaned and stepped a few feet to my left. I stopped hard when my eyes met with that of the hooded figure's.

Cold, icy blue eyes caught my silvery, purple contacts and sent shivers down my spine.

I suddenly had the impression it was glaring at me. Maybe it was a little surprised.

Because as soon as the eye contact was cut off, Allison began moving. She turned around and her long golden locks whipped around with her.

When she walked out of the corner and down the opposite hallway, I realized the hooded figure was gone.

Cursing under my breath, I waited for Allison to disappear around a different corner before I ran to the place where there had just been someone else standing there.

There were no signs of any intruder, but next to the wall, a tiny black ribbon had fallen to the ground.

Frowning, I bent down and picked the soft fabric up.

"What is this doing here," I mumbled quietly so that only I could hear.

As much as I didn't want to sacrifice one of my five senses, I placed the ribbon up next to my nose and gave it a sniff.

Metal.

It smelled like metal.

If this came from Allison's hair accessories, it would've smelled like shampoo. But it didn't, so this was a new evidence I was given.

Closing my hand around the ribbon before opening it again and looking at it, I quickly placed it securely in my hoodie's pocket and rushed back to math class.

_

I couldn't say anything to the girl while we were in class. There were too many people around her.

Gritting my teeth together, I tried to focus back on my science project. I was in class anyway.

I'd have to wait after class when we have sports. I have to pull her aside.