29 | Black Ribbon pt. 1 | Liam's POV

3 years ago.

"We're leaving too," Liam heard Kai say, watching the boy dust himself off a bit before hopping up from the concrete ground. He followed suit and shot a knowing look at Isla to signal her to get up.

From the corners of his eye, he silently noted the shadows of Lennon's teammates also getting to their feet.

The crew — their crew —let their eyes wander from person to person, taking in the moment that would eventually be erased permanently from everyone's memories.

He unconsciously let his gaze rest on the girl before him. Tall, strong, stubborn, witty... beautiful.

There was never a good time to dawn on his thoughts or emotions, as life as assassins always forced him to throw those feelings away. He played with every target's emotions — he played with every girl he had set eyes on, and had thought, 'beautiful.'

Because all of them were clueless. They did not know what they want. They wanted him, because he killed. Because he was tough. Because he could put on a smile.

Those who put up a cold front eventually catered into their true desires and forced themselves on him. Those who did want him began lusting for more of his attention.

But this girl. Why. Why was it different? Or was it not different? She looked like any other, acted like any other, even talked like any other.

So what made her special?

Liam noticed the pure, dark-filled curious sets of eyes that found its way to meet his blue ones.

But she wasn't looking at his eyes, she was deep in thought. Her brows creased in concentration as her mouth parted a bit to get ready to form words. But every moment failed her as the lips shut softly each time, unable to express what's bottled up in that head of hers.

And finally they both snapped to, and realized where they were, and realized who they were, and realized what was going on.

And her voice didn't fail her this time.

"I... hope we never see each other again."

She avoided his eyes, because the message was directly meant for him. How did he know? There was just a feeling. He felt like he understood the girl before him like he'd been her teammate for years now, yet there were still uncertainties that made him hold back unlike with his usual targets.

He stood there studying her face, realizing with a grim fact what she wanted him to know.

"If in the future we meet again, I have a feeling it will not be one of an alliance, Carter. It will be war. Someone — people — will die because of us."

No goodbye. No second look. No hesitation.

The Renai's and the R.U.'s separated upon her word. Jamie, Carlos, and Helene took the flight down through jumping to the floor below, heading quietly back into the school.

Isla and Kai brought forth a rope with claws that scrapped the edge of the roof, keeping a sturdy hold for the climb down the side of the roof.