Chapter 7

Edited

Kayla

I've been down in the dumps lately. After the thing with Andre I haven't really been feeling like myself. I know it's only my fault that things ended the way that they did. I shouldn't have ignored him and then just cut him off with no explanation. And I know people think I'm stupid and foolish for continuing my friendship with Josh. People just don't understand us or him for that matter.

"Girl I'm tired of you locking yourself up like this," April said busting inside my room. It scared me since I wasn't really paying much attention. "We're going to lunch. So put on some REAL clothes."

"But I am-"

"Bitch if you don't put on something that's hanging up in this closet." She walked inside my closet. "Bitch got all these sexy ass bomb ass clothes that I can't even wear because my butt is too small and chest is too big and your ass is forever in some sweats and a damn parachute of a shirt. Bitch got me mad as shit." She came back out with a black romper with white flowers on it. It had a deep V line that I know I'll be uncomfortable in. "Wear this. Girl I saw a dress in there that I like. Let me cop that." She went back in my closet as I slipped out of my comfort clothes and into the romper. "Who bought you those outfits? Because I know you didn't."

"My mom," I mumbled. "She wants me to be more confident in myself and the things I wear."

"And that you should be. I mean Kayla, you have a bomb ass shape. You got a big booty, big chest and an even bigger heart. Yeah you got a pudge and ya weight up there. So what you like to eat and you can't walk up a flight of stairs? You are who you're meant to be. You need to stop letting what others think and say dictate you."

"I'm not you April."

"You don't have to be me boo. You should be you. Acceptance of others won't happen unless you accept yourself. You understand me?" I nodded. "Alright, let's go out to eat. I feel like we don't hang out as much."

"Well you are always with Shawn," I shrugged. I'm happy that April found a guy who's absolutely obsessed with her. I'm also a bit envious of her. That's the kind of guy I want. But I have this suspicion that I may have ran him away with my stupidity.

"Yeah. But you're my best friend. I should always have time for you. You want to go to the diner or somewhere else?"

"Let's go to Red Lobster."

"Bitch do you have Red Lobster money?"

"Yes and so do you," I laughed. She knows we just got paid.

"Damn expensive ass bitch trying to break my damn pockets," she mumbled as we walked out. We rode together and sang songs together. April tried hitting the high notes which was funny but terrifying to listen to. Like seriously scared the hell out of me.

We got to the restaurant and asked for a booth. I love booths so much more than a regular table. I feel as if you got more privacy in a booth and it's much more comfortable. Since we always get the same thing we didn't waste our time with looking at the menu.

"Bitch you took me here just to get chicken tenders? You a whole ass nigga out here," April said while scrunching up her face.

I laughed. "I just wanted the biscuits to be honest."

"Could've asked for a to-go box of biscuits," she mumbled. "I'm glad we're here though since it's not too busy. I do want to talk to you."

"About what?"

"Why exactly are you self-conscious?"

"Well," I paused. "You know a bit about my family situation right?" She nodded. "Well, my dad always favored my skinnier siblings over me. I believed it was because of my weight that he didn't love. A father is a girl's first love and who she based her love off of. The fact I never got that love from him made me believe I wouldn't get that love from any man. And to top it all off, the bullying I've been receiving for years only worsened my self-esteem."