Chapter 11

Edited

Andre

I was confused and mad as fuck right now. I left Kayla alone for five minutes. Fucking five! I even told Shawn to watch out for her since I would be outside. Shit, I didn't even make it outside. I heard screaming and crying and I turned right back around. Kayla looked so traumatized. The shit hurt me because she was just happily drunk in my arms. I don't know if it's because the tears were messing with her vision or not but she wouldn't even let April or Shawn touch her. But I was able to get her out of there.

"Damn what the fuck happened?" Shawn asked while looking pissed. We were driving back to their apartment. Kayla was asleep on my chest and stirred only a little bit every once in a while.

"I don't know," I said. I was livid but at the same time I was confused. I didn't know what to feel to be completely honest. I know one thing. I was mad at myself for leaving her alone. I told her to stick by my side but I ended up leaving her.

"I-I think I know," April mumbled.

"Then what?" I said a bit in irritation.

"Chill," Shawn said glaring at me through the mirror. "What happened April? Cause I know you were with me the whole time."

"It's not as much as me knowing I just have a hunch. It may have something to do with...Chris."

"Chris." My voice was flat and deep with an undertone of rage. My entire body was stiff and on edge. "Why Chris?"

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you. I wanted Kayla to open up to you about it because it's her business not mines. I didn't know the extent of what he's been doing to her. All I know is that he harasses her a lot. I want to say that's what he did here but it seems that that's not the case. It seems a lot more serious this time around."

"What is up with her and him?" My jaw clenched so tightly it felt like my teeth were going to crack.

"I don't know the full story. She never told me the details but something went down freshman year between her, Josh and Chris."

"Josh? He knows what Chris does to her?" She nodded. That made me even more pissed. I shouldn't have stopped at a broken nose. I really should've broken every goddamn bone in his body. We finally pulled up to their apartment. I carried Kayla up the stairs and to her room. I was going to leave and let April clean her up but she gripped me.

"Don't go," she mumbled.

"April is going to clean you up baby girl," I tried reasoning.

"Don't leave me," she said in a strained voice.

I sighed. "I'll do it April."

"You sure?"

"Yeah. She won't let me go so I don't have much of a choice."

"Okay," she said leaving and closing the door.

I sighed. Lord give me the strength. I ran her a bath and went to find some clothes to dress her in. Kayla was a bit more awake but groggy. I was able to get her to wash herself but I had to dry her off and dress her. I tried so hard to control myself. The hardest fight I've been in. I put Kayla to bed and was about to leave. "Andre," I heard someone whine. I turned around and Kayla was sitting up in bed with tears in her eyes. "Don't go."

"Kayla-"

"D-Don't leave me alone again," she cried. I felt a pang of guilt in my chest when she said that. I did leave her alone and that bastard Chris did something to her. "I-I feel s-safer with you," she mumbled.

"Okay," I said. "I'm going to get some clothes from Shawn then I'll be back."

"Be fast," she said.

I nodded and walked across the apartment to April's room. I really wanted to run out of this apartment and beat Chris's ass but Kayla was traumatized and needed me right now. I came to April's door and heard murmured talking and some sniffling. I knocked on it softly. "Come in," a soft voice answered. I opened the door and Shawn was holding a crying April.