Chapter 22

Edited

Kayla

"Let me tell you about this time Andre was like seven or eight years old," his mother said. For the past hour she's been giving me all the tea on Andre and it's been very entertaining. "He had the cutest obsession with this cartoon character on TV. He was in love with her for years. Never missed a show. And practically begged for anything dealing with her. I forgot what it was-"

"Kim Possible," Essence laughed. "You remember when he would go through so much trouble to hide everything when people came over? Had to change his sheets and all."

"Wow," I chuckled. "I can't really imagine Andre being that obsessed with her back then."

"Back then? Girl, he still has an obsession. I even got a video of him singing the whole theme song a few months back."

"What y'all in here talking about?" Andre and his dad walked in. I couldn't hold in my laugh as I imagined this Andre obsessed with a cartoon character. He raised his eyebrow to me.

"Oh we were just telling her about your biggest childhood crush," Essence smirked evilly. "I was even about to show her the video I had."

For the first time ever, Andre looked embarrassed and I couldn't be any happier for the simple fact I'm not the one being all shy and reserved. And since my mom embarrassed me all those two weeks it's finally time for payback. The shoe is finally on the other foot. "Man it wasn't even that serious," he mumbled walking away.

"Here's the video Kayla," Essence said handing her phone to me.

"Yo Essence! Imma kick your ass!" Andre ran back in the room and started chasing her. I couldn't help but laugh at them. They were so lively. These are moments that I wished I could have with siblings. Teasing each other and playing around. No matter how annoying they could be, at least I wouldn't have been alone.

"They're always like this," his dad said shaking his head with a light smile. "That just shows how close they are and how much they miss each other." He looked down at me. "Do you have any siblings Kayla?"

"Well," I mumbled. "My...father has two kids but we never had the chance to grow up together. I'm my mom's only child. But I've always wanted a sibling."

"I see," he nodded. "You're a part of this family now so you're more than welcome to take Essence and Jules."

"Hey!" Essence said, pausing a bit as she had Andre in a headlock. "Don't try to get rid of me old man!"

"Why not? With you gone I can finally start walking around naked and fuckin ya moms like we usually do on our getaways."

"Ewe dad!" She screeched. I laughed a bit.

"Who's Jules?" I asked. I don't remember Andre ever mentioning anybody else. I only know him to have two sisters.

"He's my big brother," Andre said as he flipped Essence upside down. I have no idea how they can have a full wrestling match and continue to be in the conversation but they're like pros. "My pa rents adopted him when I was like twelve I think. He's been in the military for over ten years."

"You two bet not break anything," their mother said glaring at them rolling around. "Andre you're twenty-four years old and still playing around."

He smacked his lips. "Dad still acts like he in his teens though. Swear, always on my back about something."

"Shut up lil nigga. I do what I want." He walked out to the kitchen to check on the food I guess. Mrs. Jackson had me and Essence help her prepare dinner.