Chapter 4- Dormant

Zeke

"Did you see her feet, Zeke?" Danny asks as we head back to the den after leaving Everly in the care of Doc and CeCe.

"Yeah, man. I saw."

Danny growls as he paces in front of the large stone fireplace, "I'm gonna kill that motherfucker!"

"Danny, reign it in, brother. I want to destroy whoever did this too-"

"We know who did this! The same bastard that scarred the fuck out of my back when I was twelve. The asshole who took pleasure from beating the hell out of me with his belt," he takes a deep breath. "Fuck, man," he groans. "This is on me, Zeke," he whimpers as he falls on his knees. His palms dig into his eyes as he tries to wipe the tears away.

I kneel before him and place my hand reassuringly on his shoulder. "This isn't your fault, Danny. You tried to get her. You've spent the past ten years trying to locate her. This is not on you," I stress to him. "She's here and she's safe. In time, she'll heal."

I want to tell him that she is my mate, but I know it is not the time or place.

"You're my best friend, Dan. I've watched you wonder and worry about her. She's here man. Focus on that."

"You're right, Zeke," he says as he looks up at me, "but promise me something," he continues.

Gaining his composure, I see his eyes flash wolf, "Promise me that one day, we'll take Hank out."

"You have my word."

As I help Danny to his feet, Jack walks into the den followed by the rest of the White River Pack. Altogether, there are seven members. Micah, Mason, and I grew up here at White River. When we were fifteen years old, Danny came on the scene. At thirteen, he had just undergone his first shift. Full of attitude and aggression, we had to help him adjust to his new life. Two years later, Trent Hall stumbled upon our pack. He quickly found his home here and settled in as the pack's go-to mechanic and eventually opened a garage in town. The five of us are led by our pack alpha and beta. Charlie Tucker has served as the pack beta for as long as my father has served as alpha. He and my dad grew up on this land. He is also the uncle of Everly, Danny, Micah, and Mason. My mother, Beverly, claims that my dad and Charlie were best friends at birth. She leads by my dad's side and has become, for lack of a better term, our pack mom.

"Danny," Charlie says as he pulls Dan into a big hug. Releasing him he holds both sides of his face and emotionally exclaims, "Our girl is finally home."

Doc walks in and Danny hurries to him, "How is she? What are her injuries? Is she gonna be okay?"

Clearing his throat, Doc lifts his hands in a calming gesture. "She's gonna be fine. CeCe is helping her get cleaned up," he takes a deep breath and continues, "Everly has bruised ribs, a facial contusion, a possible concussion, a sprained wrist, blisters and abrasions on her feet, and..." he hesitates.

"What?" I demand.

Looking apprehensive, Doc glances at the pack members around the room before he settles his gaze on me. "She also has several abrasions on her back."

Danny's face pales as he says, "Cuts? On her back? Like, from a belt?"

"No. These are several small cuts that I removed gravel from," he takes a deep breath before explaining, "It's a typical injury from being held down and-"

"Dear God," Charlie gasps.

"She was raped?" Danny growls.

My mother gasps and covers her mouth with her hand, "Oh, Lord," she whispers.

Looking uncomfortable, Doc explains, "She told me she wasn't, but her injuries are typical of those associated with a sexual assault. She refused an exam to confirm. We treated her various injuries with a salve that CeCe created. It will help the cuts heal and bruises fade quickly. CeCe also has a tea she that will help Everly rest," he explains. "Also, her wolf is agitated but remains dormant. I tried to coax her further to the surface, but she's not ready."

"She's null?" asks Trent.

"No," Charlie replies. "Nulls are without a wolf. Doc is saying that Everly's wolf is there, but she has never shifted, right?"

"Correct," Doc replies.

"I've met a few dormant shifters. Two things they have in common is that they have undergone severe abuse and their wolf is submissive," Jack explains.

"Submissive?" my mother questions. "That's interesting."

Everyone looks at her with questioning eyes.

"What do you mean, Bev?" Charlie asks.

"It's just that Charlotte was so dominant. I assumed Everly would be too," she explains. "It will be nice having another submissive around to help balance out all the dominant pheromones around here," she teases.

"So, how long till she shifts?" Mason asks.

"There's no timeline, Mason. It's when she feels safe and comfortable in her new surroundings," Doc explains. "Her wolf needs to trust the pack."

Stepping forward, Trent asks, "What about Hank and his pack of assholes?" Eliciting growls from the pack he continues, "I'm just saying, they'll know she came here, right? Do you think they'll come for her?"

"They'll come," my dad confidently replies, "and we'll be ready."