Chapter 19- Healing Grounds Book Cafe

Everly

Watching the little multi-colored orb fizzle around the tub elicits a smile from me. I observe as the blue, purple, and pink foam swirls around the bath, reminding me of a picture I once saw of the galaxy taken from the Hubble telescope. As I sink into my little liquid universe, I sigh in contentment. The aromatherapy essential oils envelope my senses and I sink lower into a relaxed state of euphoria.

Suddenly, I hear a buzz coming from the floor. Peeking over the edge of the claw foot tub, I see that I have a new text message from Caylin. I dry my hands and carefully pick up the phone. I may not have much experience with modern technology, but I do know that water and cellphones don't mix.

Caylin: Tell me you're awake!

I smile at the thought of my new, Irish friend as I respond.

Me: I am.

I watch as the grey text bubble pops up and she quickly sends back a message.

Caylin: Great! Fancy a bite? Meet me at my shop in an hour or less.

Me: Ok!

I'll have to hurry to catch a ride with someone but quickly affirm that I will be there. After releasing the drain stopper, I quickly step out of the tub and dry off. Dressing in my usual snug jeans and boots, I pull on a grey long sleeve shirt and a purple flannel over it to layer up against the cool weather. Checking my appearance in the mirror, I run my fingers through my pale blonde hair and take a moment to observe my complexion. The bruises have faded completely and my skin is back to its porcelain appearance. However, there's something different. I look closer, studying my image. My skin, hair, even my eyes have a glow to them. Now, my injuries are only a memory. Satisfied with what I see, I grab my coat and phone and head into the kitchen. Turning the corner, I narrowly avoid a collision with Danny. "Whoa! Where are you headed in such a hurry?" I tease.

"Out," he responds quickly. Looking down at my hands holding my coat, he asks, "Where are you going?"

"I was gonna see if someone could give me a ride to town. I'm meeting Caylin for breakfast."

"I was just leaving for the shop. Come on."

I quickly follow him as he steps out into the brisk morning air and gets into his classic 50s Chevy pick-up truck. Its shiny blue exterior has silver flames on the hood and the truck sits low to the ground. Looking over at Danny, I realize that the vehicle matches him, tattoos and all.

I settle into the cushy leather seat as we drive in silence. Tension is radiating from Danny. He has a white-knuckle grip on the wheel, tense shoulders, and he wears a mask of irritation on his face.

"So," I break the silence, "What's up with you lately?"

Fidgeting in his seat, Danny glances in my direction. "How do you mean?"

Irritated at my brother for closing off to me, I take a deep breath and resist the temptation to roll my eyes.

"Well," I draw out, "ever since we all had lunch at the diner you've been acting strange. Quiet. Distant. Like something is bothering you."

Danny takes a deep breath. "It's nothing."

"It's obviously something, Danny. My twin-sense is telling me that you're upset with someone. Is it Trent? Mason? Micah? Zeke?" I study him as I say each name. Upon hearing his best friend's name, Danny's eyes shift. "You're mad at Zeke?" I ask.

Sighing in aggravation, Danny glances at me."Evie, I don't really want to talk about this right now."

Thinking back to the day Danny's attitude shifted, I realize what his issue is. "Oh." My cheeks redden from embarrassment. "I think I know."