Chapter 2- True Mate

Give all to love;
obey thy heart.
-Emerson

Zeke

"Is she okay?" Mason asks as I hold the petite woman gingerly in my arms.

I don't know who she is or what she is here for, but at this moment I know that she is my mate. My whole being, down to my DNA, has shifted. I've heard stories since I was a kid about what it feels like to find one's true mate, but nothing prepared me for this. The reality of the raw, emotional, physical, and spiritual connection I feel for this woman momentarily petrifies me.

"Zeke-Man?" Mason's voice rings out above the sound of the rain and my accelerated heartbeat. "Is she okay?" he asks again.

I pull my attention away from the crumpled mess of hair and hoodie and look up at my friends. Micah, being the man of few words that he is, has remained silent and vigilant of our surroundings. Mason approaches and crouches down. He reaches out to touch her and I let out an involuntary growl.

"Whoa, man! What's up with you?" He startles back.

Blinking and scrunching my eyes, I take a few deep breaths to gain control. Ignoring his question, I focus on my mate. "She passed out. We need to get her out of the rain."

Wanting to actually see her face, I gently move her long, blonde hair out of the way. Her porcelain skin is tarnished with shades of purple and blue. My gut knots when I see the cut on her lower lip. She has swelling around her right eye, cheek, and jaw. Clenching my teeth as I lift her up and hold her protectively in my arms, I focus on calming the animal inside me that is scratching to the surface, so eager to hunt down the bastard or bastards that hurt her.

"Your eyes, man-" Mason says.

"I'm fine," I interrupt before he can press the issue. "She's hurt and I need to get her help. Let's go."

Micah advances towards me, lowering his head as a sign of reverence and silently telling my inner beast that he means no harm. Slowly, he reaches down to pick-up the forgotten paper she was handing me.

"What's it say, bro?" Mason asks.

Micah looks up from the paper and stares at the woman in my arms. A look of question and concern in his eyes.

Mason, looking over Micah's shoulder, gasps.

"Holy shit," he whispers.

Mason looks at me and I see his eyes swimming with emotion.

"Who?" I press. Looking from Mason to Micah, silently urging them to tell me what deep down I already know.

Micah holds my gaze and whispers the name that I was wordlessly praying he would say, "Danny."

Without another word, we get into the truck and head back to the lodge. My wolf paces within, causing me to tense every time Mason drives over a pothole. I stare out the window as I hold the girl securely in my arms.

"Do you think it's Everly?" Mason breaks the silence as we ride back to the lodge.

Nestled in the heart of the Ozark Mountains, the White River Pack calls three-thousand acres of this majestic forest home. We renovated an old summer camp area near the White River, which runs through our land and inspired our pack name. At our land's center is the lodge. This large cabin is where our Alpha lives and where the pack meets for meals and to hang out. Scattered throughout the property are several outbuildings, including a large garage and workshop. In addition to the lodge, there are six smaller cabins that belong to each pack member.

Continuing, Mason glances over at Micah. "I feel like shit, Mic. Everly is our cousin and I can't tell if this girl is her or not."

"It is," I murmur while focusing on her breathing. Logically, I know she will be okay. Illogically, I need to reassure myself that she is still alive every few seconds. Her face grimaces as a low moan escapes her lips. My wolf can smell the pain emanating from her body.