Chapter 11- Someday

Zeke

I love playing music with my pack mates. Strumming the guitar as we sing our renditions of classic bluegrass and mountain folk songs. It's the sound of the mountains and the call of home. Music was a way that Charlie brought us together as a family of sorts. Our first shift occurs during puberty, a time when hormones are going haywire. For shifter males, the changes that happen intensify as we take on our first shift. Feelings of anger and the need to battle everything and everyone add to the internal torment. Charlie funneled all that hostility towards music. It is something that the guys and I shared a passion for and it ultimately brought us together.

As my fingers pick at my guitar, I sense Everly's approach before I see her edge her way into the room. She is healing quickly, much to the satisfaction of my wolf. I can feel her emotions bubbling to the surface as Charlie walks over and speaks to her for a few minutes before she walks back to the kitchen. As Charlie walks past us, he looks at me and nods his head in a silent gesture to follow him outside. "I'll be right back." Placing my guitar back on its stand, I follow our beta out to the lodge's outdoor cooking area.

Stepping outside, I inhale the brisk mountain air. The rain has finally stopped, leaving a crisp, cool scent. "So," Charlie breaks the silence while lighting the built in grill. "Everly is your mate."

It's not a question. He knows.

"Did dad tell you?"

As he works the rough, bristled brush over the grates he chuckles. "No, Jack didn't tell me. I could sense it and see it in the way you look at her. You're protective and sense her without seeing her. I bet your wolf is going crazy wanting to claim her. Am I right?"

Shoving my hands in my front pockets, I nod my head, "He's going insane. It's like I'm thirteen again and I have to fight the urge to shift."

Charlie puts down the brush. Turning to look at me, he grabs my shoulders, "I couldn't pick a better mate for my niece. You are a good man, Zeke. Watching you grow into the alpha you are destined to be...it's been an honor," squeezing my shoulders before he drops his hand, Charlie laughs. "All you little shits are like my own damn kids and Everly, she was my little princess when she was born and she's my princess now. It kills me thinking about what she's been through. Knowing that Charlotte is still..." his voice locks up with emotion.

Clearing his throat, Charlie looks out to the lake behind the lodge and the mountainside beyond the water. "I gotta get her back, Zeke. My brothers are gone and we always vowed to find Charlotte and the kids. I've regretted only taking Danny. I should've gone back for Everly. For Charlotte."

Seeing his eyes haunted by ghosts of the past, I try to lighten the mood. "Do you think Danny is going to try to kick my ass?"

With a belt of laughter, Charlie nudges my shoulder. "I'll pop the popcorn for that show. Hey, can you go tell your mom I'm ready for the burgers?"

Walking through the lodge towards the kitchen, I overhear my mom and Everly speaking quietly.

"Bev, what helped?" Everly asks.

"Not what, who," mom replies. "Finding Jackson helped put a lot of the demons to rest. However, it was my best friend that helped me the most."

"Who was your best friend?"

"Your mother."

Stepping into the kitchen, both women look over at me. "Mom, Charlie is ready for the burgers."

Mom quickly steps around the island and picks up the tray of patties and walks towards me. "Help Everly finish up prepping the veggies. I'll be back shortly."

Quietly, Everly and I work in tandem washing, slicing, and putting out all the fixings for homemade burgers.

Clearing her throat, Everly says, "You play amazingly."

"Play?"

"Guitar. All of you are so talented."

"Thanks. We play all the time. Danny mentioned that you're a good singer."

"He did?"

"Yeah, he would tell me how you sang to him all the time and that the two of you would make up songs."

Laughing, she replies, "We did. It's been awhile but I used to sing all the time."

"If you ever wanted to join us, we'd love to have you."

"Maybe. Someday," she murmurs.

We both reach out to grab a paper towel and our hands touch. Static envelopes me as I feel her cool fingers against my warm skin. Gulping, I look into her eyes. Looking down at our now encased hands, I unthinkingly lift her hand to my face and place my nose on her wrist. Inhaling her scent, I struggle to silence the growl lodged in my chest.

"Someday," I whisper.

"Yo! We're starving out here!!!" Trent bellows from the den.