Chapter 50- To Life

Fear, he is a liar.
-Zach Williams

Everly

Morning sunshine washes over my face, drawing me out of a sound sleep.

Refusing to wake-up, I burrow into the bedding. Sore muscles remind me of last night's escapades and I can't help but sigh with contentment.

Remembering the way Zeke's hands felt against my bare body — rough and warm. Or the way he growled as my curious fingers traced the topography of his skin.

His lips.

His taste.

How he made me feel cherished as I gave him all of me.

"Why do you look like you've swallowed the entire Cheshire Cat, Angel?"

Opening my eyes, I find Zeke lying on his side, staring at me with a look of amusement. Lifting the comforter up and covering my mouth, I reply, "Just replaying last night."

Zeke's body shakes with laughter. "And what, I wonder, is on your highlight reel?" My body heats at his inquiry and nervous laughter bubbles up my throat.

"Ezekiel James," I scold behind the blanket, "Don't embarrass me!"

Scooting down, he raises the cover in front of his mouth, imitating me. "My favorite moment was when you shouted, 'Holy Moly,' at the top of your lungs."

Rocketing forward, I clench the sheets that fall. "I did not shout! I..."

Zeke props himself up on his elbows. His chest is exposed and screaming for my attention. I trail my eyes down his rippled torso and keep lowering my gaze until his throat clears. "My eyes are up here, Everly Anderson."

His pupils dilate with passion, flustering me more. "You think you're so cute," I scoff, shoving his shoulders. "But you're not."

The bed jolts as Zeke launches himself at me. We become a tangled heap of linen and limb as we wrestle. He holds my wrists above my head with one hand and tickles me with the other.

Uncontrollable laughter claims me as I give up, "Zeke!" I squeal. "Don't make me use my element against you!"

His movements slow and I stare into his eyes as my giggles subside. "What?" I ask when I see that he's lost all humor. "What's wrong?"

The sudden upward quirk of his mouth causes Zeke's cheeks to dimple. "Marry me."

My breath catches as the bed and floor disappear beneath me. "Wh-what?

"Bond with me as mates, Angel. Let's seal our-"

"Our fate?" I interrupt, my words dripping with discontent.

His face falls as he lets go of me. Seizing the opportunity, I wiggle out from underneath him. "I was going to say 'love' but sure, fate works too. I guess?" Zeke's voice goes distant as his gaze clouds. "Angel? Why are you upset?"

Twisting the crisp, white sheet around my naked body, I face him. "I don't want to bond with you."

My stomach churns as I watch the man I love flinch back, as if I'd launched dragon scale at him. "Y-you don't want to bond with me? Why? Where's this coming from?"

"I never said that I wanted to bond with you. I love you, Zeke. But I-"

He springs off the bed and picks up his jeans from the puddle of clothes on the floor. Yanking them onto his body, Zeke steps toward me. "You love me but you won't bond with me." Hurt shrouds his face with pain so fierce I have to look away.