Chapter 40- Once a Hero, Always a Hero

But I wish I could feel it all for you
I wish I could be it all for you
If I could erase the pain...
I'd do it all for you, I would
-Ellie Goulding

Zeke

The National Weather Service out of Little Rock has confirmed that last night's severe thunder storm did produce rotation and wind damage. While there have been eye-witness reports of a tornado touching down near the northeast edge of town, the NWC has not confirmed anything more at this time. In other local news, there's been another black panther sighting in the Ozarks near...

I lean forward and turn off the radio, filling the truck cabin with silence, then settle back into the passenger seat of dad's Ford F-250. He, Mason, Micah, and I ride the back roads, up a mountain, toward the joint airfield the two allies share. Secluded and secure, the private airport is used for various purposes. Today, it is housing two prisoners.

I stare out the window as the morning sunshine does its best to peek through the thick clouds. Overcast skies shadow the land in melancholy light and reflect the mood of the pack.

Mason pops his head between dad and I, "How did Everly seem last night, Zeke-Man? Did she talk to you about everything?"

"Not really. She was exhausted by the time we got back to the lodge. She went straight to bed."

He sits back in his seat behind dad, "Dude, she was amazing. All of them were. Did y'all hear Seri mention the spirits saying-"

Micah scoffs behind me.

"Brother, your cousin produced a freaking water tornado last night shot ice from her palms, and turned two guys into human popsicles. Not to mention that you yourself shift into a fucking wolf. And still, the notion that there are spirits in the world is impossible?"

After a beat of uncomfortable quiet, dad runs his hand through his long, graying hair. "Any of you hear from Danny? He's been radio-silent this morning."

My head jerks in dad's direction, "I thought he was with Trent helping with the interrogation?"

"No. He left the scene last night and told me he would be back in time to go get his mom. Last night had to be rough on him."

We push through the edge of the forest into a narrow clearing and onto a wide asphalted runway. Situated on the far end are four airplane hangers. The large, arched roofed buildings house our plane and helicopter.

Dad parks his truck and turns off the engine, "Logan is watching Hank. We can't hurt the sonofabitch. He'll just take energy from Charlotte and we don't want to cause her anymore pain."

I sense Micah lean forward, "So what information is Trent trying to get?"

"Hank knew Everly was an element. The DCs were after her. I want to know why and who is pulling their strings. We'll check in on progress and then head back to the lodge. Bev and Charlie are prepping for our trip to get Charlotte."

We all exit the vehicle and make our way to the building's side entrance. As my hand grips the handle a thought hits me, "The Black Mountain Pack is going to be a problem, isn't it?"

"Hank is more than likely mind-linking with his pack. Being their alpha, I imagine they'll try something. But, Logan and I have heard rumors that Hank's pack is not too happy with him at the moment."