Chapter 10- Bath Bombs, Boots, & Bluegrass

Everly

Later that evening, I awake from my nap to find Danny staring at me. Jolting away from his goofy grin, "Jeez, Danny," I grumble. "Do you make a habit of staring at people while they sleep?" His grin only grows and I can't help but chuckle, "Seriously, Bub, it's creepy!" Teasing him like this reminds me of old times. Rare moments in our shared past where we acted carefree and forgot about the devil lurking in the other room.

As I sit up against the pillows, Danny places one of my hands in his, "I just can't believe you're here." Sadness knots my throat as I take in his grim expression.

Before I can comfort him, Danny quickly stands and walks over to the dresser. "Bev went to town and got you some things," holding up two large bags, "She got you some clothes and other lady shit."

Scrunching my eyes, "Um, 'lady shit'?" Laughing, I glance into the large brown sacks after he places them on the bed. One is packed with a few t-shirts, two pairs of jeans, four flannel button-ups, a package of wool socks, and near the bottom I catch a glimpse of white lacey material. Realizing that Bev bought me bras and panties, I am both appreciative and embarrassed. Closing the bag before Danny sees, I look into the next one. It holds various toiletries, and although I have never used these exotic scented brands, I am familiar with what they are, until I see several, plastic-covered, brightly colored spheres. Bewildered, I hold one up and ask, "What in the world are these things?"

Taking it from my grip, Danny says, "Oh these are kick ass! They're bath bombs."

Puzzled, I look at him thinking I misheard him, "Bath...Bombs?"

With an excited expression, he says, "Yeah, you put one in the tub and it will fizzle and release awesome scents and bubbles," he looks into the bag and begins to take stock of what other items Bev gifted me.

A booming laugh erupts from the door, "Are you a bath bomb fanatic, Danny?" I look over to see Zeke leaning against the doorframe with his arms crossed in front of him. I can't help but smile at the familiarity he shares with my brother. Their friendship is evident with the ease in which they pester one another.

"Screw you, Zeke. I know you enjoy an occasional soak," Danny defends. "That big ass tub you installed in your bathroom wasn't just for looks." Zeke shrugs his shoulders in admission.
"Well," I advocate, "Who doesn't appreciate a relaxing bath? These are going to be amazing," looking at Zeke, "Your mom is very thoughtful. I appreciate all of this, truly."

His face lights up when I mention Bev, "Mom is pretty amazing. Speaking of, she wanted me to come tell y'all that supper will be done in about a half hour. Everly, do you like hamburgers? I figured, with your love affair with bacon, you aren't a vegetarian?"

Danny and I laugh, "Yes, I love hamburgers. Let me freshen up and I'll come help," I move towards the bathroom, grabbing my bag of 'lady shit' and clothes. I desperately want a bath but decided to quickly shower in an effort to help prepare our meal.
Piling my hair on top of my head, I quickly scrub down. Using the body wash that Bev purchased, I delight in the soapy foam that smells of cucumber and melon. I have never bathed in something that smells so delicious. In fact, the only soap I was allowed to use was the unscented bar that Hank preferred. I had to use it for both body soap and to cleanse my hair. I learned quickly that I had to use it sparingly. When I was eleven, Momma explained to Hank that I needed to use more due to my long hair. That evening, tears streamed from my eyes as Hank removed my long, silky waves with electric hair clippers. 

As I dry off, I glance at the mirror. Realizing that something is different, I step forward and take in my reflection. My bruises are healing at a rapid pace. Now, the purple has changed to a greenish-yellow hue. Puzzled at the rate in which I am healing, I turn around to look at my back. It too is healing nicely. The small abrasions are mended over and some have begun to fade. Confused, I pick up the container of the cream CeCe left for me, "What exactly is this stuff?" I wonder.