Chapter 12- Welcome Back

Everly

Joining the group at the large rustic table outside, Zeke and I sit across from one another.

What was that in the kitchen? I wonder.

There's no denying my attraction to him. Physically, he is strong. I feel protected when I am near him, not intimidated. His hair is dark and kept neat and slicked back. I want to run my fingers through it and get lost in his eyes.

His eyes. They're like a cobalt blue reflections of the sea. I want to bathe in them and never leave.

Suddenly, I realize that I have been staring at those eyes for too long and I've missed part of the conversation. I jerk my attention away and look at the others.

"Hello, White River Pack!" a familiar voice rings out from the side of the lodge. Glancing over, I see Doc and CeCe approach.

"Doc, CeCe. Join us," Jack motions for them to sit at the table.

"We will never turn down a good meal with good friends," Doc says as his eyes meet mine. "How are you, Everly?"

"Fine. Thank you for helping me." I look over at CeCe. "And thank you for the ointment you gave me. I am using it like you said and my bruises and cuts are healing so quickly."

"You are welcome, dear," CeCe replies. "But, I sense that it wasn't just the salve that aided in your quick healing."

Movement at the table stops and everyone looks towards me and CeCe. Tangible tension filters through the air as I ask, "What do you mean?"

"Well, I imagine being back on your native earth is helping your body recover. Breathing the mountain air that your ancestors breathed. Being around the people who have known you your entire life. You are truly home, Everly." Reaching across the table, CeCe grips my hand and smiles. "Welcome back."

My mind whirls around the words she has spoken until they sink in and I look over at the now familiar faces around me.

My hand warms in CeCe's embrace.

Something clicks.

Deep within my mind and heart, I know CeCe's words are true.

Suddenly, memories that I have buried deep within the recesses of my mind spring forward. Emotion fills my eyes and I gasp.

I remember laughter.
I remember friendship.
I remember love.

"I'm home."