Chapter 5: Am I missing something?

Laila POV

My phone rang for the hundredth time today.

I made the mistake of answering it once because it was Jeremy. If I had known I wouldn't answer confirming that he got the right number. It doesn't need the genius to guess how he manages to get a hold of my contact. What surprised me is that it took him this long when he is capable of knowing my whereabouts.

"If I hear your phone ring one more time I'm gonna throw it out the window. For god's sake just answer it!" Clarisse yelled at me.

"It will stop soon," I simply answered which pissed her off more.

"Laila, I've already posted information regarding your booksigning tour and all we had to do is wait for confirmation on some of the venues and we are all set," Tina gleefully told me.

It's been three years since I signed under Creative Talent Unites. 

They are one of the biggest agencies that are behind the talents of award-winning films and TV shows. At first, the company was just a small publishing company. They had collaborated with a few big-shot companies in the past but since it was small and not known, the company began to lose its investors and was on the brink of bankruptcy. I happen to have just finished my first novel at that time and offer to shoulder the expenses of editing, proofreading, and even promotion. They just need to distribute it. The cover art used was one of the paintings I made during college. All in all my first novel was really a low-budget one and I  did it just for fun to cheer Tina up.

Who knows that even with no advertising or big-scale promotion my book would sell out. It earned so much that it was able to save the company. I gave all my author royalties to Tina to help with the company and now it has become so well known that not only did it publish books but it also caters to training aspiring writers and agencies for writers. Tina wanted me to be a co-CEO since I had invested a lot of money during the crisis of the company but I refuse. I'm also in a complicated situation during that time and I'd rather stay out of doing business which is why I used a different name. Because of the growing popularity of my books only then did people start to get interested in the author that someone hired a hacker and leaked my information.

Tina then grabbed the chance to put me in the spotlight thinking I deserve all of it. And now here we are. 

I glance at Clarisse who is busy typing on her laptop.

"Don't you have someplace to go?" Tina asked, Clarisse when she made a grunting sound as my phone rang again.

"Well, I was supposed to be at the studio to finish that design project but then I thought I'll come along here," she stated as she picks up my phone and then turned it off.

Tina looked displeased at her. She snatched my phone and then turn it on again.

"Laila's phone needs to be reachable at all times," she reminded Clarisse which she just rolled her eyes at.

"But she doesn't want to be reached by someone." Clarisse flat out stated.

Tina then turn a suspicious look at me, "Am I missing something?"

I snatched my phone back. There were text messages sent saying to answer his call.

"Before I forgot, you need to go to London in two days for the Writer's Guild Award. I've already booked your ticket and the hotel you'll stay at," Tina informed me of the other details.

Just what I needed. I think going to London for a while will help.

************************************
Jeremy POV