Chapter 28: ... the owner finally claim it.

LAILA POV

"Vincent"

 I didn't know why I was whispering but all I know is that seeing him again is a bad thing for me.

"What's the surprise look on your face sweetheart? Didn't expect me to be here?" Vincent keeps looking at me as if he knows something that he can use to scare me.

I looked around to see if Jer is around but lucky he isn't. It's better that the two won't meet when I'm around.

"Shouldn't it be me who needs to be surprise seeing you in this kind of events. Last time I check you are not the type to social with others" he continued. He looked at me the same way he would always look at me. It was as if he knew everything about me.

Memories flooded my head and for a moment I lose my balance and was about to fall on the floor when he caught me.

"Laila, are you alright?" He asked.

"It's better if we stay away from each other Vincent." Was all I said in a hush tone. He only chuckled in response.

"Why are you so afraid of me Laila?"

"Do you really have to ask?" I snapped at him "You knew perfectly well why."

"All I did was do you a favor." His grip on me tighten as I tried to be free from him.

"I never asked for that." I argued.

"But you'll thank me. Especially that I can answer things for you that your parents never did." He taunted me on.

"What do you mean?" What could he possibly know about my dead parents.

"Well they were lying to you. The reason your mother killed herself was because-" before could finish, a strong hand had pulled me away from Vincent.

Jeremy had a menacing look on his face. He pulled me closer to him. The look on Vincent face only showed amusement and I know that he's had something in his mind.

"I think you should keep your hands away from my girlfriend" Jer sneered at Vincent.

"I didn't know Laila, that you would come running back to your ex boyfriend. That was not what you told me that night we-"

"STOP!" I half yelled at Vincent, "Vin, just stop."

I know that Vincent understand the meaningful look I'm giving him. Jer looked at him then to me as if trying to solve a puzzle. He clearly wanted to know now what Vincent meant by his words which what Vincent wanted to do. To make Jer curious and anxious. That's what he's good at.

"Mr. Malarkey, I can't wait to see you again." Vincent said after he raise his hands in defeat. The two guys didn't even shake hands but just gave each other a deathly glare. Vincent then left leaving me in the hands of a now furious Jer.

"What did he mean by "that night"?" Jer asked not long after.

"That was nothing." I could't looked at him in the eye.

"Laila, is there something I should know about between you two." It was more of a statement rather than an inquiry.

I had a feeling I have no other way to dodge this situation. I was having an internal debate on my head when I was saved by an employee who told us that the event will now start. He guided us to an another room with tables and led us to our chairs. 

Nate took on the stage and greeted everyone before another man replace him and began the auction. Now I understand the number the servants give around as we settle to our seats. Piece after piece where auctioned and I just can't believe the amount of money these people bid. Those numbers of zeroes in it will took a service crew his whole life of working just to be able to gain that amount. 

It was already the 10th item that Jer would bid a higher price but let someone else have it.

"As far as I remember, you are not the type to lose to someone especially to things you like." I finally said.

"I don't have the intention of getting any of that items." he answered.

"Then why bid on it then?"

Jer chuckled, "I'm bidding to increase the amount. There will always be someone out there who would take interest just because I seem to have interest and will try to win against me."

"So, that is why Nate needs you here, to provoke others ego and not because you genuinely like the items." 

"No, ofcourse there are those who truly wants to get that items which they'll be willing to spend so much knowing I or others have interest in it." I stated.

I rolled my eyes, this reminded me of why I chose to be unknown before.

"Tell me if you like something." Jer said. I doubt I'll even something.

The auction continued and after a few more items, an usherette came to us. "Ms. Condes, please follow me."

"What?" I looked confused. Jer urged me to follow her. I hesitate before standing. I'm suddenly panicked when she led me at the side of the stage.

"And now for out last item, the main piece of tonight's collection." the ushers helped me to get on the center of the stage. My heart beating wildly as I stood there under the spotlight, it is a good thing that I can't clearly see the audience or else I'll surely  panic. "The Flake of the Ice Queen. The last of its kind."

My hand reached for the necklace I'm wearing, I looked at Jeremy who I know have that cheshire grin on his face. Why the hell did he made me wear this important thing. I could have lost it. My head went buzz when I heard that starting amount. 

"12million dollars" someone said. I look to who it is and my eyes widen. Vincent is raising his number.

"20million dollars" I heard Jer.

"25million dollars" Vincent battled it out with Jer.

The bid just goes higher and higher between the two and I have to face palm my face which gain a few laughs from others.

"5billion dollars" Jer bid.

"5billion dollars! going once.... going twice" when it seem like Vincent wouldn't bid anymore "Sold to Mr. Malarkey for 5billion dollars."

There were cheers from others. An usherette escorted me down the stage. Nate met me down the stage. 

"It seems like you can keep the necklace. Though I might say that Jeremy bought back that necklace thrice the amount he sold that to me for this auction." Nate stated.

"What?" I inquire

"I've been bugging Jer to give that necklace to me. I might say it took me a couple of losing bets and a collection of him breaking his promises to me before finally selling that to me. I forgot when he acquired that but he's been holding on to that necklace and I guess now I understand why. It seems like the owner finally claim it." Nate glance at Jer who is looking at us intently. 

I'm baffled.

Nate held out his hand, I took it and he escorted me back to Jeremy.