Chapter 14: ..can't you just have a decent conversation

Laila POV

"YOU BETTER BE ON THE PLANE RIGHT NOW!"

Clarisse half yelled on the other line of the phone. I took a deep breath trying to calm myself and not be annoyed by her demandingness. It was my fault actually. I made a promise to her the last time I was late at one of her showcases that now she demands things because of that promise.

I really need to stop making promises out of guilt.

"I'm already on my way. I'm about to get on the plane so can you just please stop calling." I pleaded. It was her tenth time calling me since morning.

"I don't believe you. Send me a picture of you." I was about to complain when she hung up the phone.

I looked at the monitor screen and saw that the gate for my flight is now open. I quickly assemble my things and went on. On my way, I receive a message from Clarisse demanding the picture so I took a quick photo and send it to her.

A flight attendant helped me find my seat, seeing my name she said that my ticket had been upgraded. When I asked her why she just said they were randomly selecting the ticket numbers and I was chosen. I almost curse out loud when I saw the person sitting beside me and the whole random ticket upgrade seem like a scam now.

"You've got to be kidding me!" I grumbled.

Jer looked surprised as well but his expression change quickly. I had no other choice but to sit as the flight attendant said someone already took my last seat and that people still keep coming and looking for their place. Arguing would delay the flight and I know Clarisse would never believe me anyways so I just have up fighting about it. I turn to Jer and saw him still having that silly smile on his face.

I glare at him, "Look, don't get stupid ideas."

"I can't believe that a flight would be a way for me to see you. Unless you're following me." My jaw dropped at his statement.

"Why would I follow you?" I snapped.

"I don't know. Maybe you miss me?" there's a smirk on his face. He clearly likes the situation while I'm not. I'm obviously fuming which he took no notice of. 

Why does this have to happen to me? Had he forgotten what he did to me at his office the last time?

I put on my headphones and listen to some music just to avoid any contact or conversation with him. A few minutes later flight steward tap me on my shoulder and told me to keep it for a while because the plane is about to take off.

As always, the same routine when it comes to flight. The flight stewards will give reminders and we all have to listen and turn off any electronics we have. I tried my best to avoid Jer's gaze.

I'm getting uncomfortable with the situation. Jeremy hadn't said anything nor he starts bothering me. Knowing him, he would have taken this chance so I took a glance at him and saw his brows in a furrow as he reads a file on his laptop. Even on a plane, he couldn't take a rest.

"You know this is weird right," I said breaking the silence between us.

"What's weird?" he asked.

"Just. Anyway, don't you have a private plane?"

"It's on repair and the other one, my parents used it." he simply answered.

Fine. I guess I'll just have to bear with this situation. He seemed so focused on his file that I decided not to bother him anymore. 

I took out my own laptop and decided to start on my next book but nothing comes to my mind. I'm just staring at the cursor waiting for me to type words so that it can move.