Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Identification Process

Six years ago, back when I was twelve years old, I watched my own brother go through Rebirth that easily wounded up our own family. I begged him not to go, can you imagine that a little child was trying to concede his brother's decision to stop him from doing that kind of big mistake, but we didn't get to rule out his decision, we can't stop him. He basically doesn't need our parents' consent 'cause he's grown up and can do whatever what he wanted to make his life better and that leave us hanging by a thread hoping he would come back for us. However, there's no word we heard from him again. And then we just make ourselves believe that he's dead just as the time he left us.

"Go on, son, make me proud..." My mom tearfully said hugging me as he watched her another son walked away to go through the mandatory Rebirth initiation. I didn't make it fast to leave on her arms, there's no turning back once we get there and the only thing we can do is to do what we can to survive. She loses her arms on me and cupped her hands-on my face, she can't make her emotion go away. "Be with your brother..."

When mom spill out those words, I couldn't think of anything but to put him behind all of this. I shook my head against what she said, "I won't be the same as him, mom. I would do better and I'll get you out of here."

She smiles a little, "I would love that son, but you know that in this world, that's not going to happen... I failed my test and I am going to regret it for the rest of my life."

For the last time, I hugged her because we don't know maybe this could be the last time we'll see each other. I lose my arms on her and walked out of the house. I follow a lot of young people going in towards the big metal tank military truck transportation that will serve us to go in the first part of the Rebirth.

As I walk away and try to look back at my mom who's just watching me putting my life at risk. She knows what could happen there, whatever might it costs. It's either you die or you failed. My mom didn't make it until the end and all she hope was to have a better life on the Noble Land.

There were army's all over to secure and keep the protection among the null people—at least once a year, we get to feel safe within them. They were holding rifles, I think to make these people scared and frightened just to make then follow all their instruction per se.

We see a High Council public relation officer highly surrounded by armed men and is to give surely a brief announcement.

"I'm an officer from the High Council, gives you good luck as you will proceed to go through Rebirth and to change your life as it is. Please follow in line, follow all the instructions as we proceed to the identification process. A change of fate may you receive. Good day, Filthy Waste Land.

There's no such thing as filthy to what they are treating to people who they just don't like to be with.

We followed their instructions, I stay on one line and proceed to go inside on the metal transportation. There are almost twenty of us inside the vehicle, I don't know much of them, but I get to see their familiar face around. Obviously just by looking at their faces, I could say that they're afraid and some are excited.

"Hi," I approached some girl with curly red hair and has freckles on her face, "you don't like 18 to me."

She looks at me, stares just like she's examining me, "well, you look old to me though." She answered.

I didn't get to respond to her 'cause some with us laughed at it. I keep myself silent knowing that these people are also going to try to find their luck on this process and to seek a better future. And I hope, it won't end up in bloodshed—because what my mom told, it always going to end up like that, no matter what happens.