| Chapter 16 |

The Senju Guardian

Chapter 16

"Knowing that why leave the kids to fight?" Asked Tazuna curiously and confused. "If I felt like it, I could have killed these guys instantly...but I had to know who the target of the enemies was first." Kakashi said coldly and looked at Tazuna. "Hm?! What do you mean?" The bridge builder asked, rather nervous. "I mean if it was you, the bridge builder, or one of us, shinobi, who was being targeted. You haven't said anything about the possibility of being attacked by other ninjas, you just wanted protection from bandits and the like...this mission is B-rank or even higher. I hope you have good enough reason to lie about the rank of the mission. This is beyond the scope of our mission."

One little boat sailed across the sea, cutting through the heavy fog. Inside the small boat were Team Seven, Tazuna and a ferryman. Tobirama looked at the fog, lifting a paw and concentrating, soon few droplets of water appeared and floated together to form a small ball of water, hovering over Tobirama's paw. After a small talk, they decided to continue the mission, Naruto lifting up their confidence.

"This is quite some fog, I can't see ahead." Said Sakura as she looked around, worried.

"The bridge should be visible soon." The ferryman told them. "When we reach the other side of the bridge, we'll be in Nami no Kuni." A huge bridge came into view, no longer hidden by the fog.

"Wow, it's huge." Said Naruto, looking at the bridge in awe, Tobirama nodded as he stopped entertaining himself with the water, very impressive, to build such a thing without the use of chakra.

"Please keep down your voice." The ferryman looked around in panic. "I took this boat out under the cover of fog. And I cut the engine and am rowing by hand. If they find us, we'll be in deep trouble." Team Seven looked at him in surprise.

Naruto winced slightly. "Gomen..." He whispered, looking down in embarrassment. Tobirama put a paw on his shoulder, making the boy look at him and smile sheepishly.

Kakashi narrowed his only visible eye. "Tazuna-san...I want to ask you something before we arrive at the pier. The identity of the assailants, and the reason why they are after you. If you don't tell us...our mission may end when you make it to the land." All of them looked at Tazuna, waiting for what he is going to say.

Tazuna sighted, looking at them. "It appears I have no choice but to tell you. Frankly, I would like you to listen. Just as you said, this may be beyond the scope of your mission. Actually, I am being targeted by a terrifying man."

"A terrifying man?" Kakashi nor anyone else liked the sound of that. Tobirama's eyes narrowed. "Who?" Kakashi asked.

"You guys may have heard at least his name before. A shipping magnate by the name of Gato." Tazuna began to sweat, Tobirama's eyes narrowed. Gato? Where has he heard that name...

Kakashi looked at Tazuna in surprise. "Gato? Gato of the Gato Company? One of the world's richest men?" Ah, there it is!

"Who's Gato?" Asked Naruto puzzled and Tobirama waved a paw.

"Yes...On the surface, he's the chief executive of a shipping company...but underneath, he's into drug trafficking and deals in contraband using gangs and ninjas. Moreover, he runs a despicable business, ruthlessly taking over nations and enterprises. It was about one year ago when the man fixed his eyes on our country... he used his wealth and violence to enter the country, and before anyone knew it, he had taken complete control of the island's maritime transportation and shipping. Having a tight grip on the ocean, in an island nation like Nami no Kuni means having control of finance, the government, the people...everything. The one thing Gato fears is..the completion of the bridge that has been under construction for some time now." Tazuna looked down.

Tobirama's eyes narrowed even more, Naruto gritted his teeth. 'That man...by himself is nothing.' Tobirama was disgusted, a civilian playing dangerous.

"I see." Sakura began to understand. "Since you're the one building the bridge, you've become a hindrance." Tobirama nodded. It seems the bubblegum's brain finally kicked in. 'About time, I was thinking about using a lightning jutsu to wake those brain cells up...'

"Then those ninjas from before were hired by Gato?" Asked Sasuke, Tazuna nodded

"But I don't understand. Your opponent is a dangerous one, who will even use Ninja. Why did you hide that fact from us when you made the request?" Kakashi looked at the old man coldly.

"Nami no Kuni is...a very poor nation. And even the daimyo has no money. Of course, we ordinary citizens have no money either. We cannot afford to make requests of Rank B or higher... Well if you pull out the mission when I land ashore, I will, no doubt, be killed. Killed sometime before I make it home. But there's no need for concern! Should I die, my cute little grandchild who will turn eight...will only cry his heart out!" Tazuna said, move on their emotions? Oh please. "And my daughter will only blame Konoha Ninja for the rest of her life and grieve in solitude! Oh, it's not your fault at all."

Kakashi and Tobirama sweatdropped...Naruto tho... Tobirama sighted, nudging Kakashi and nodding his head, rolling his red eyes in Naruto's direction.

Kakashi also gave a sight in defeat. "Well, I guess we have no choice. Let's continue this mission."

"Oh! I am very grateful!" The old man turned around with a victory sign. 'I won.' He smirked slightly.

Sometime later, the ferryman looked at them. "We'll be arriving soon." They sailed through a hole from the bridge and as they arrived on the other side, they were in Nami no Kuni. Naruto looked around, awe visible on his face. They arrive at the pier and go to land.

"This is as far as I go. See you around." The man told Tazuna.

"Yeah. You've been a big help, thank you." Tazuna told the ferryman as he started the motor of his boat and drove away. Tazuna looked after him. "Okay! Get me home...in one piece!"

"Hai, hai." Kakashi waved a hand with a sight. 'When they attack next time, it won't be Chunin, but Jonin or higher, Cripes!' He thought, narrowing his eyes. Tobirama had a similar expression. 'I can sense someone in the distance, not very clearly. I have no idea how much there is nor how far away they are. It's as if they were...fogged over. Water Nature, they are hiding in the fog... good thing I am here.'

And so they were on their way, Tobirama kept trying to get a good grip on the other chakra.

><><><><><><

So yeah, here you have it, folks! Sorry, the chapter was so short, I was working on this as well a the Halloween collaboration special with the amazing  JuliPow.   Who also allowed me to use her chapters as help to write my own! Don't forget to check out her book 'Naruko's Adventures'. Her Wattpad: @JuliPow 

Sayonara my little kittens!