Chapter 11

I couldn't sleep because of the thoughts circling my mind. I tossed and turned trying to get comfortable so that sleep would take over but it was unsuccessful. It was now the early hours of the next morning and I desperately need some sleep but I can't help thinking about what I've done. I have shut him out, pushed him away and for what reason? That's right because he cares about his company. I mentally slap myself for how stupid I've been.

Noah is just a man, and everything he does is for good reason. When I first met him I got the impression that all he cared about was money and making a tonne of it. I've never been so wrong in my life. He cares more about his family than anything else which is why I feel so stupid. There was no way for me to have known who he was speaking to on the phone. I don't even know what he was speaking about! He has good reasons for everything he does, even though sometimes the consequences outweigh the reasons like with what happened last year.

I didn't give him a chance to explain and I should have. He flew all the way to Pennsylvania because he was worried about me! If that isn't true love then I don't know what is and I've ruined it. All because I am too guarded to let anyone in.

Then it hit me. I have been guarded since what happened with Brad. I can't let anyone in because I'm afraid it will happen again. I remind myself that Noah isn't like Brad, very few people treat others the way Brad treated me. I loved him and I thought he loved me but I was wrong. I'm scared to admit it to anyone else but I don't want to be hurt again. I'm a 25-year-old who is scared to be intimate with anyone because deep down I know they will take advantage.

Getting back to sleep was useless so I decided to make myself a cup of hot chocolate, it seemed to help me sleep like a baby yesterday so it's worth a shot. I turned the corner into the kitchen and warmed up the milk on the stove. I waited patiently for the milk to warm and ate a couple of cookies in the process. Once I had my hot drink made I walked into the living room with the intention of watching the only thing that I knew would be on tv at this hour- a rerun of Friends.

I almost dropped my hot chocolate when I saw Noah laying on our couch covered with a think blanket. "Noah, what are you doing here?" My eyes were drawn to his.

"I told you I'd be here when you wanted to talk," he shrugged and sat up rubbing his sore back. I know how uncomfortable that couch is all too well when I first moved in I slept on it because Archie and Millie said that my room wasn't ready yet. I was supposed to move in a week later than I did because they were having the room painted and carpeted but I had nowhere else to go.

"I didn't think you meant actually here," I shook my head in disbelief. "You said you had a place here."

He shrugged not giving me any answers but I was too tired to argue. Instead, I sat on the end of the couch where his feet were and enjoyed my hot chocolate. Knowing that Noah is here means that there is an even smaller chance of me getting any shut-eye.

"Can I explain?" He tried and I shook my head. I stood and made my way back into the kitchen. I rinsed out my mug and walked back into the living room.

"Please Sophia-" I cut him off.

"Tomorrow," I promised and took his hand leading him into my bedroom. I shut the door once we were inside and laid down in my bed. Noah stripped out of his suit and slipped in next to me. Noah knew exactly what I needed and wrapped his arms around my small form pulling me closer to his chest. He kissed the top of my head, "goodnight Noah."

"Sleep well Princess," I remembered those exact words coming from his mouth when I first slept in the car on the way home after the Gala I attended with him. I guess that was the first (and last) time we really spent time together outside of work and his family.