Chapter 26

"Welcome back to Good Evening, America! Tonight's recap of the Chosen contestants' week in the palace comes with some shocking news: after nearly a year of competing, the pool of contestants has finally begun to shrink."

Ricky nods. "It would seem that Lady Alexandra Ritaccio has left the palace and returned to her home in Croatia. When approached with questions, the other Chosen refrained from disclosing details about potential reasons why, and palace representatives offered no comment. However, we did receive the following statement from Lady Ritaccio and her family:"

The words appear on the screen as he reads.

"While Lady Ritaccio enjoyed her time in the competition, after a recent bout of illness, she and His Majesty came to a mutual agreement that, of the eight contestants, her health would make it difficult for her to properly fulfill the duties expected of the Queen of Midgard. We the Ritaccios are grateful for His Majesty's generous treatment of our daughter, and for his continued support during her recovery. We ask that the media respect our right to privacy now that Alexandra's participation in The Choosing is at an end."

The Ladies' Parlor has a somber feel to it tonight. Whatever competitive feelings may or may not exist between certain contestants, there is a certain bond that has developed over the past nine (or so) months. Lexi was a friend, and though you are all glad to know she is out of danger, her loss cuts deep into the marrow of the group.

"Now that we're down a contestant, let's check in on our palace footage from this week with the remaining women."

Eight have become seven, just like that. And now that the news is officially public, you can feel the question that is no doubt pressing on everyone else's minds: what does this mean for the rest of you?

"This is Ashley Marino and Richard Morgenstern, signing off."

The shift in the air is nearly palpable. Subtle changes in tone as good-nights are exchanged, chilly smiles exchanged as the seven - seven - of you go off to sleep. Now that Lexi's gone, now that you've lost a member of the group, there's no going back.

The real competition has begun.