Chapter 60

He doesn't join you for dinner that night. You try not to let it get to you. He's just shocked. You took it weirdly yourself when he said he loved you, and then you turned around an hour later and said it back! So this doesn't mean anything. This isn't a setback. It isn't.

Right?

Rosa clearly wants to ask how the conversation went. She tries to communicate with her eyes, wary of exposing you in front of Lady Amara—or, for that matter, in front of Rhea. You appreciate that. It's surprisingly discreet of her, for sure. Until after dinner, when she grabs you by the wrist and, somewhat less discreetly, drags you to the Ladies' Parlor. Huh. Who would have thought that one day I'd be keeping secrets from Rhea? And with Rosa, of all people?"

Well?" she demands as soon as the door has closed behind you. "What happened?"

You rub your wrist, wincing. "He was...kind of weird, about it, actually."

"What do you mean, weird? What did he say?"

"He didn't. That's the weird part."

She furrows her brows, looking at you with familiar exasperation, though the expression holds a touch more affection than normal. "What?"

You plop down on the couch, wringing your hands. The conversation seems more and more cringeworthy each time you relive it in your head. "He said he had some matters to attend to and excused himself."

"And?" You shrug. She shakes her head, as though she can't believe her ears. "That's it?"

"That's it! And I don't know—"

"Hello, ladies."

Your mouth clamps shut at the sound of the new voice. Rosa takes a step away from you, affecting her normal expression of disdain. "Lady Rhea."

She nods politely, but with barely restrained excitement dancing in her grin. Which, for Rhea, is the equivalent of jumping up and down while clapping.

Rosa notices, too. "You seem...bouncy."

"We kissed!"

You freeze, moving only to blink.

"Excuse me?" Based on Rosa's tone, she's going through a similar mental process as you.

"I didn't want to tell you all earlier because...well, I was embarrassed, I suppose. And I didn't want to upset you, Lady (Y/N), but..." She actually clasps her hands together, then. Disney-Princess style. "It happened again today." Again? "And I think he's planning to propose tomorrow."

No. No. No.

You rack your brain for evidence against this—because this is truly out of nowhere. Rhea has been so mature, so quiet, so unassuming this entire time. You'd assumed that, if Loki were to choose her, it would be for those qualities. You'd never assumed that he'd kiss her. You'd assumed—well, you'd hoped, anyway—he wouldn't kiss anyone besides you.

Just this afternoon, he'd told you he loved you. Loves you, because there is no way he changed his mind that quickly.

Right?
You remember him dismissing you today to speak with her; his uncomfortable reaction when you told him you loved him back. And Rhea herself...you realize, now, that day you'd conversed with the three other women, she never outright denied being involved with Loki. She hadn't spoken up at all. So it's not out of the realm of possibility that she's telling the truth.

"Tomorrow?" you squeak out. It's the only thing you can think to say, amidst the word salad being tossed around your brain.

"At the anniversary ball." She practically swoons on the couch next to you, one hand pressed to her heart. This is absolutely surreal —who knew all it would take was one kiss (if it really was only one kiss) to turn Rhea from stoic to lovesick? "Three years since we arrived here. Can you believe it?"