Chapter 27

For the first time in over a year, you feel a chill in the air.

Surprisingly enough, this isn't because of any tensions or animosity between contestants (though heaven knows there's been enough of that - nothing extreme, just small, petty squabbles), but as...a present.

You think.

It started with a scarf. Seven scarves, technically. You woke up one morning to find Meg bringing you a gift box, long and slim and delicately wrapped in gold foil, tied with a length of green ribbon.

Huh?

"From the king, Lady - I mean (Y/N)." She smiled shyly, and you felt a quiet joy bubble up at the correction. She's been trying to use your name, sans title, ever since you "rescued" her (her words, not yours) from the Chitauri, and it seems to give her a small bit of confidence. (In public, she continues to call you by the title, which you interpret as her not wanting to be reprimanded - a sentiment she later confirms when you ask her in private. You can't disagree with that.)

You accepted the gift, and tugged on one end of the bow. Under the box, beneath a layer of (yes, green) tissue paper, was a (yes, green) scarf.

I would be honored if you would wear this to breakfast this morning.
~ L. L.

You didn't really think much of it. It was thin and silky, nothing too heavy for this weather. Coming down to the dining room, you saw the other six girls each had one as well, tied around their neck, or used to pull back their hair, or knotted to the waist of their dress, each one with a slightly different pattern and in a different shade of green.

It wasn't until Li let out a tiny gasp that the rest of you began to suspect something bigger was going on.

"Wha's wron?" asked Irina through a mouthful of omelet, ignoring a glare from Lady Amara.
Li handed her the envelope in response, seemingly too stunned to speak. Irina began to read it out loud.

"I am writing to request your company for a walk of the grounds tomorrow at noon." She passes the letter back, looking mildly impressed. "A date, huh?"

And Li wasn't the last. As the day went on, the remainder of the girls received similar invitations, at lunch or directly after lessons or slipped under their bedroom doors.

Except you.

You totally weren't surprised. Or offended. Or upset by this in any way, shape, or form.

Except...you kinda were? Like, you get it, you're still just shy of seventeen - but to be the only one sucked. A lot. Especially after...well, after everything. The ball. The tutoring. The Chitauri. Even if he didn't want to go on a date with you, persay, you thought he would have been considerate enough to explain why, or at the very least warn you before the invitations came.

Which leaves you here, sitting and pouting on your bed instead of going to sleep. Li's date was over a month ago - she came down the next morning with shockingly reddened lips. She explained, with a shy kind of glee, that the lipstick was a gift from His Majesty, after she'd told him a story about breaking into her mother's makeup box as a teen.

The next week was Irina's meeting. Despite her clear reluctance beforehand, she too came down to the dining hall with more than a little excitement the next day, wearing a riding coat and (much to Lady Amara's chagrin) pants, of all things.

"I mentioned that I was starting to get tired of riding side-saddle, and when I got back to my room, these were waiting on my bed," she said. Irina wasn't the girly type by any means, but even she blushed as the girls oohed over the gift.

And so it went on. Every week, another girl went on a date, and came down the next morning with a smile on her face and a surprisingly thoughtful gift to speak of - a violin for Juliette, a pair of tap shoes for Rosa, a painting for Rhea's room. Tonight is Sapphy's turn. She's the last one, and you're beginning to wonder what exactly it is that's wrong with you.

Your initial reaction would be to think he's mad at you after that outburst about Lexi leaving. But you've spoken since then, in the hallways, in the library - just small pleasantries, but his smiles have been genuine.

So what is it, then?

You'd confront him, but you're nervous. Much, much too nervous. But you can't stop wondering what the problem might be - is it my age? Is it how I look? My weight? Does he just think I'm dumb? Is this some kind of sign that I'm the next to go?

You shake your head. This is ridiculous; lying here and feeling sorry for yourself isn't going to do you any good. Maybe some fresh air would help?

You don't bother getting dressed - why put on a corset or a robe or even slippers when you'll be back in bed in ten minutes? It's too hot, anyway. The less layers, the better, and the floors feel delightfully cool beneath your feet.

You pad down the hall, and all five million stairs, as quietly as possible. You doubt anyone else is awake, but you don't want to risk it, especially as you make your way out into the gardens. You were never given a strict curfew, but you doubt that wandering the grounds in the dead of the night without an escort - barefoot and only wearing a nightgown, no less - wouldn't exactly endear you to Lady Amara.

"This really is beautiful, Your Majesty."

Shoot, shoot, shoot... You duck behind the nearest bush, wincing at the noise. Through the brambles, you can see two silhouettes, the (much) shorter one obviously corseted-and-petticoated. Loki's voice is too low for you to make out his response. Between Sapphy's pitch and her enthusiasm, though, she's loud enough that you feel safe adjusting - that branch poking into your side isn't the most comfortable.

It isn't quite as bad, though, as when you lose your balance and topple off the balls of your feet in the other direction - directly into a whole host of other branches, all ready to poke into your side even harder than before. You're still concealed - you think - but your squeak of surprise, combined with the rustling caused by your fall, isn't exactly discreet. And the sudden lull in the conversation makes you fear that you might have been discovered, after all.

"Lady Sapphire, I have had a lovely evening, but I believe it best that we both retire for the night." His voice is closer than before, and you tense up. "I have a full day of political meetings tomorrow, and I assume you'll be equally busy with lessons."

As she agrees, they continue past you, and you let out a sigh of relief. Once you see the light green flash, you finally do your best to roll out from under the bush without getting yourself scratched up any further. You can't help but rest on your side for a moment, dirt pathways be damned...

"Would you like some help?"

...until you open your eyes and see a pair of shoes right in front of you.