BONUS CHAPTER - Mistletoe

(AN: Happy holidays, all! Now that I've committed to full chapters on the 1st and 15th, I may occasionally sprinkle in a random one-shot or two in between chapters. Here's the first! These don't necessarily fit in any specific place in the timeline or the universe, but they'll all be Loki/Reader)

**********************************************************************

"Funny traditions, you mortals have," a voice says from behind you.

You turn around. "You're going to have to be a little more specific than that," you joke, hoping to diffuse the tension. "Is it the tree? Or the menorah? Or the myths about the reindeer and the man bringing gifts around the world and stuff?"

He gestures to some point in space just above your head, and you follow his gaze.

Oh. "Mistletoe?"

"Is that what it's called?"

You shrug. "To be honest, I haven't seen a lot of mistletoe in my life, so I wouldn't really know. You know the significance of it, though?"

"Yes, Lady Sapphire explained it earlier while we were decorating. She seemed rather disappointed that I wouldn't stand beneath it, but you seem comfortable enough, and nobody's attacked you yet."

"Yet?" You almost take a step back. It's true, what you'd said - you don't have much experience with mistletoe. Or any, really. "Yeah, um, I - so it would seem."

"Hm." To your relief, he doesn't advance any further, merely pursing his lips and nodding thoughtfully. "Silly."

"Excuse me?"

"The idea that some small bundle of leaves should be enough to force two people together. Silly, but charming."

You chuckle. "I wouldn't exactly call it force. It's more of a suggestion than anything, or something to laugh at."

"A fair point." He cocks his head. "Though I suppose..."

As he takes a step forward, you're suddenly very aware of the fact that your pulse has skyrocketed in the last half-second, and that although you feel as though this is the moment to run, your feet can't move. Not from any magic or trickery, but...because you don't really want to leave. Not that you want him to kiss you, of course, you're just curious.

Yeah, curious. That's it.

He leans in, and you close your eyes in anticipation...only to feel a soft, momentary pressure against your cheek.

When your eyes flutter open again, he's still only a step away, and despite the chasteness of the kiss, you're heart hasn't really slowed down and you almost wish...

"Merry Christmas, (Y/N)."

Nothing. You wish nothing. Having him here, with his unexpectedly soft eyes, and his lips just having brushed your cheek...this is more than enough.

"Merry Christmas, Loki."