Day 11, Meet the Neighbors/Playing with Holli -Merle and Grene

A/N: This chapter involves a perspective switch midway through to Grene. I figured you'd much rather get some human pet action in, rather than just reading "Hey, wanna come over? I'm trying to socialize my human." Over and over. It won't be a regular thing.

Holli was horrendously cute. She might not know it yet, but she has me wrapped around her finger. When I tried to leave to invite a few neighbors over, I had to stop when she chased after me. It was adorable, but I cringed at the look my brother gave me while I explained to her where I was going (not that she understood). It was wholly my fault that she was so scared of me leaving. Although Grene wasn't the sort to chew me out for my shortcomings, I could tell he blamed me. I shouldn't have rushed her through all that her first few days, I should've had friendly dog-men come over to meet her. I should have given her time apart from me, she'd become too used to my company. Perhaps it was in part due to her unique personality, or maybe it was entirely my fault.

"Keep me updated on her, okay?" I said, as if to Holli, so she'd feel better. She let me stroke her cheek, taking slight discomfort, but still seeming to enjoy the attention a bit.

"No problemo, Merlin." Grene was always very upbeat. He prepared to stop Holli, who eyed the door when I turned to leave. He managed to catch her, I was careful to a avoid looking at her when I left. The last thing I needed was a guilt trip.

~*~
G

rene's POV

My brother was guilt tripping himself, wasn't he? I told Merlin over and over that he would make mistakes. Sure, he made a big one. Sure, this one was completely avoidable. But really? Why eat yourself up over it? Holli was clingy and skittish. But Holli was also sweet, and she loved him. I could see it in her eyes. She ran to him when he left, after eleven days. I was still dragging Lyndsey out of corners at eleven days (guess what my mistake was!). She even wanted to watch him leave, so I helped her up to see him go.

Holli was a very expressive little human. She didn't bother with words much, a sign to me that she understood that words were mostly useless in communicating with us. Lyndsey didn't get this when I got her. She'd ask me for things, getting upset when I didn't get them for her. The glaring was a cute feature of her behavior. These "dirty looks" were a passive aggressive way of expressing anger, but leagues beyond hitting.

Now, I had to keep her busy for a couple hours while my brother invited the neighbors. I quickly recalled the glimpse of the immensely messy toy room, which Merle swore up and down was clean when he put her in there that morning. Many humans with run of the house don't take well to being constrained at first, so it wasn't surprising, the mess she made.

I called her up the stairs, taking note of her immediate response to her name. She really was advanced, most humans reject their new name outright until tamed. She was, however, very hesitant. Her eyes darted up the stairs, so she knew I wanted her upstairs, and didn't seem defiant. She crossed her arms, a subconscious defensive measure. I kicked myself. She was scared I was locking her up again. Humans recognise patterns, often when there aren't any. Merle had left again, last time that happened, she was locked up. I called her again, smiling to maintain a friendly air. She followed this time.

I was deliberate to avoid looking at the door when I went inside. And boy, was that a good thing. She watched me like a hawk, trying to figure out what my intentions were. I knew just picking up the toys in front of her would have little entertainment value, so I'd have to make it a game. Moving a him to the middle of the room, I picked up a toy.

I used the toy in the most incorrect way I could, holding it upside down. She had already taken my seated position as reassurance that I didn't intend to lock her inside and gone inside to join me. She was curious in what I was doing, but her curiosity changed into frustration when she realized I was doing it wrong.

I don't normally recommend you let your human snatch things from your hands. However, if your human is not yet tame, and busters the courage to grab something from you (especially things that belong to them in the first place), let them. If it becomes a regular thing, stop allowing it. Some humans struggle more with the snatching than others, however.

She quickly showed me the proper usage of the toy, handing it back to me expectantly. She watched the toy intently until I used it properly, immediately satisfied with my learning. I put the toy in the bin, picking up another so she wouldn't get bored and we could continue cleaning. This one I just didn't turn on first.

She seemed mildly frustrated at first, but a touch of frustration is mentally stimulating. After a few toys, she seemed to enjoy the game we were playing, soon picking her own toys to show me. We had the toys all put away in an hour and a half, and she seemed to enjoy herself.

Aight he took clean, I noticed her lips. They seemed dry. Merle had mentioned that she had been dehydrated a lot, and that she had been on electrolytes. I called her over to get a better look, they were very dry, she was definitely dehydrated. I sent Merle a text.

Holli's lips are dry. Where do you keep the Electrolytes?

In the kitchen fridge. She likes it cold. Red is her favorite.

Doesn't usually drink the whole cup

Holli followed me down the stairs once more. She all but refused to follow me into the kitchen, she was so used to being locked out. Humans are immensely curious creatures, she hardly gave the gate a glance when I shut it, locking her in. I hoped that I could get her to drink the whole serving. I even adjusted the spout in hopes that she wouldnt struggle to get it out if she got bored. She drank it all, only showing mild frustration that she wasn't allowed to leave. She finished the whole thing, just in time for my brother to return home.

Published 1/8/19