CHAPTER 5 - SHE WHO HOLDS THE WHIP

Hearing the loud commotion, XiuYin rushes to the back of the residence, pushing through the vegetation with utmost care not to spill the food on the tray. When he finally reaches his destination, he is again shocked by Lu ShiZun's actions.

  Perched upon the trunk of a fallen tree, thick enough that even ten people wouldn't be able to group hug it. Lu ShiZun sat on top of it again in the squat position muttering things like 'too strong' and 'too slow'. XiuYin glanced at the uprooted tree and gulped, remembering not to get on Lu ShiZun's bad side.

  BiMing sat pondering about his abilities when for the second time that day he heard two deliberate coughs. He glanced down and saw the little disciple with his tray full of food. In his head he drooled an oceans worth of saliva. "Good timing Xiao Yin! I could eat a whole horse right about now." At the sight of hot food BiMing forgot any and all formalities and regarded XiuYin as someone close.

  XiuYin of course noticed this and a small blush creeped up his neck. He coughed again before speaking. "Ah... Uh Lu ShiZun where will you be eating?"

  BiMing replied instantly, "Just here will do, can't be asked to walk back."

  XiuYin craned his neck to look up the trunk... Lu ShiZun ah... You're not making this easy for me... "Lu ShiZun, many apologies but this incompetent disciple is unable to reach the top of this trunk..."

  "Huh? Aren't you disciples supposed to train all day?" BiMing asked, cocking his head. XiuYin found this disturbingly cute.

  "Us trial disciples are currently only training in physical endurance. We only start cultivation training when a master takes us in..."

  "Hm... well set up down there the, doesn't make a difference whether I eat up here or down there." And with that BiMing stood and jumped down.

  To XiuYin however, the scene played out in slow motion. His hair flowed gracefully behind as his robes fluttered like wings he landed with grace like an immortal grace that contradicted his squatting from earlier. When he landed without a sound XiuYin found himself still staring. He shook his head before setting the tray down on the ground where Lu ShiZun had already seated cross legged. He was just about to turn and leave when Lu ShiZun spoke out.

  "Wait. Come back and talk to me a while, it's boring to eat such lavish food alone..." XiuYin turned in shock... this man really was full of surprises with how much he acts like a real commoner sometimes. He walked over and diligently sat down opposite Lu ShiZun. He pushed a plate of pickled plums into XiuYin's hands before he said, "Tell me more about this trial disciple thing."

  XiuYin looked at Lu ShiZun and thought perhaps he shouldn't waste time on trying to figure this man out... He cleared his throat and began, "Trial disciples are disciples who are looking to join a sect, so all of us at the base of the mountain want to join this sect but before we can become official disciples we must go through a trial period and prove ourselves. To become an official disciple we must be chosen by one of the masters to be taken under their wing..."

  "Ho? And how do these masters choose?" BiMing asked in between mouthfuls of food.

  "The masters often comedown to watch the disciples training to pick out those with good quality. All the masters visit except..."

  "Go on." BiMing could already guess what he was going to say.

  "Except for Lu ShiZun, word has it that you've never been down the mountain to check on potential disciples... ever." XiuYin decided now was a good time to eat some pickled plums.

  BiMing was in deep thought, if the original had never had a disciple then... an evil grin appeared on BiMing's face, I ought to destroy the image that the original had... too stiff, I want to experience what good guys feel like ah and wouldn't having a little disciple be cute? they can do my chores for me! hehehe! And with that his eyes flickered to the disciple in front of him. "Tell me, how are you dealing with training?"