CHAPTER 31 - SINCE THEN

Since XiuYin woke up that day with a blank mind. His mother told him that he had amnesia or some form of memory loss caused by spiritual powers. His mother had frowned in worry and fretted over him but XiuYin simply waved it aside. One time he became sick, incredibly sick and no one knew what caused it and had no antidote till shortly after, box after box of pill arrived with no name of the sender and a quick scribble on how to take the pills. XiuYin found that these indeed alleviated his pain but he counted the amount and concluded that he'd run out in roughly three years and thus began studying and searching for a cure.

  XiuYin often wondered about his memories but he also thought, if his memories were erased so easily perhaps it wasn't anything worth remembering about... Since then XiuYin began helping with his family business. They tended a small farm with a few animals growing medicinal herbs that his mother and sisters used to treat patients at the apothecary. 

  For three years XiuYin had helped out, doing odd jobs here and there. Though he often felt as if something were amiss, like a part of him was missing, and not his memories but something more. Something in his heart. Because he could never figure it out, he simply brushed the matter aside again and again. This made XiuYin somewhat hollow. He couldn't really find a purpose in life, a goal nor a special someone to share it with and thus, day by day, he grew a little more distance to the rest of the world.

  Then that day, when he went to deliver fresh herbs to his little sister. The man sat in the corner whose eyes were unfocused caught his attention when His sister pointed him out. 

  Slim limbs, slight crouch. Slightly pouting lips and long black hair. A tilt to the head and eyes that wandered all around. Eyes that were glistening with tears.

  XiuYin felt something on the edge of his mind but could not give it a name. After he walked over to stop the man from rubbing his wounded eyes, the man actually began crying. XiuYin couldn't understand why his mind was empty whilst his heart was in agony.

  The mind forgets but the heart does not.

  BiMing bit his lips as XiuYin helped him up and lead him to another room by hand. His skin tingled all over where XiuYin's touched him. He was not aware that XiuYin's eyes were trained on the lip he was biting.

  XiuYin looked away, confused and ashamed at himself for having weird thoughts about a patient.

  "What happened?" XiuYin asked, turning into a small, herb-scented room and sitting BiMing down at a chair.

  BiMing breathed in to ensure his voice wouldn't come out sounding like a traumatised old grandma and replied, "Blue snake poison."

  XiuYin's fingers twitched. "Poison? What did you do to get poisoned?" XiuYin asked as he sat down opposite BiMing.

  BiMing's face went taut as he answered, "Nothing."

  "What of the person who poisoned you?"

  BiMing grinned like a wolf and forgot about acting lofty and clueless as he replied, "that bastard got what he deserved."

  XiuYin's lips twitched upward and without a thought said, "That's quite cruel of you Lu ShiZun."

  BiMin'g smile disappeared instantly, "You... what did you just call me?"

  XiuYin frowned, Lu ShiZun? Why would he call him that? Why did it feel so natural? Why did he say it without a second thought... "Um... apologies Mr Lu... I... have amnesia. I often say odd things... please excuse me." XiuYin got up and left the room hastily.

  BiMing swallowed as he heard XiuYin leave the room. He called him Lu ShiZun, for a second there he thought it was the old XiuYin speaking. BiMing sighed and turned his head.