2. Shinobi

Naruto and Ken pinky promised to not tell anyone unless they both came to an informed, collective descision, and Ken threatened that if he broke the pinky promise she would cut off his pinky.

Naruto nodded seriously.

Pinky promises were a serious matter.

Naruto ended up crashing at her place, the soothing scents and fresh air pulling him into sleep as they talked about anything and everything.

He lay sprawled on her bed, with Ken curled up at the foot of the large, soft mattress.

When he had asked where her parents were, she had gone silent and avoided eye contact.

This just strengthened his resolve to be bestest friends.

========

Naruto woke up to the smell of pancakes.

He blinked, looking around in a state of short-lived panic.

Oh. Naruto relaxed.

He was just at Ken's house. Naruto stumbled up and gravitated towards the kitchen, the source of that heavenly smell.

Ken smiled under her mask as she saw him there. She hummed a little tune she had heard somewhere.

"Baby, is building, a tower into space,

Space is where he's gonna find his dad

Daddy's got an arm, and baby's gonna harm,

his arm by tearing it off his dad"**

A disturbing song, if not catchy.

"Good morning!" She chirped.

It came to her as a surprise that she was so happy in the morning. Usually she had to insult herself until she finally got up.

Maybe it had to do with Naruto being here...

Naruto didn't reply. He stared at the pancakes, transfixed.

"Oh yeah." Ken looked down at the delicious pancakes. She loved pancakes.

"I get it. Odd, isn't it, to see food other than instant ramen?" She teased, an amused stare fixed onto her friend.

Naruto broke out of his trance, blubbering excuses.

"Well, sit down." Ken gestured dramatically to the seat across from the one closest to her.

Naruto spluttered. "What?" 

Ken arched her eyebrow. "What do you mean, what? Sit down so I can serve you this holy food."

"I-oh-Wh-" It seems that the Narubot 2000 was malfunctioning.

"Okay." He settled, sitting down meekly. It looked as though overnight he forgot that he now had a friend, a friend that trusted and liked him.

Ken sighed and walked over, plopping a stack of pancakes in front of him.

She allowed herself a small smile as Naruto's head shot up and drool threatened to spill.

He somehow resisted, sitting in his seat patiently as Ken got herself pancakes, completely covering it in some brown paste.

"What is that, dattebayo?" Naruto shifted in his seat, craning to get a better look.

"It's this thing called Nutella. It's from a very small company all the way in the Land of Clouds. It's a chocolate/hazelnut spread. And delicious." She sighed happily, then coughed.