15. Numb

Numb.

That was all Haku felt.

There was no sense of happiness, satisfaction, or anything as he shoved the kunai into Gato's heart. He removed it when he saw the light in Gato's eyes leave, and inspected how the blade was dark to the hilt, dripping with blood.

He didn't feel anything.

Not until Haku looked up to meet Ken's gaze, with her lips parted and her eyes wide, staring at Haku. Not horrified, not disgusted, but not happy.

Sympathetic. Understanding.

She placed a gentle hand on his arm, and Haku resisted the urge to flinch. "It's okay." She whispered.

Was it really?

But then she removed her hand and turned to the crowd of mercenaries and mob that had followed Gato onto the bridge. They were livid, and ready to fight.

Numb again.

Haku readied his kunai, his feet sliding into a steady stance, eyes blank, and killed.

::

Haku was terrifying, Sasuke thought idly. He killed so many like it was nothing. Gulping, Sasuke shook his head and focused on his opponent. At least he was on their side.

These low-life thugs may have been armed, but they were flimsy and not properly trained. They had strength in numbers.

Sasuke fought to keep his thoughts at bay as he slid under the man's furious swing and stabbed him in his side, seeing a clear opening. He was down. Sasuke inhaled, nearly tasting the blood, before grabbing the sword and moving on.

That wasn't his first kill.

No, they were almost half an hour into the fight, the enemy numbers dwindling, as well as their energy.

Sasuke remembered his first kill. Vividly. Hauntingly.

Brown hair. Sad smile. Tall and bulky. Had a dagger. Probably had a wife and kids waiting for him.

And Sasuke wasn't able to do the mercy of a quick death. No. He was scared. So he stabbed him in the chest and ran, letting the man bleed out.

God, what was wrong with him?

But now Sasuke swung and stabbed and killed without a flinch, eyes raking over his blood-covered hands and arms. It was best that they were so easy, and they kept appearing from nowhere. That way, Sasuke could imagine they weren't human. That they were sentient monsters from a storybook.

Sasuke grimaced and removed his blade from the woman's throat. He hoped his teammates were doing far better than he was.

::

Naruto holding his own, but barely.

If it wasn't for his shadow clones and endless stamina, he probably would be dead under a pile of bodies by now.

What was he thinking?! He should have trained more. He should have done better.

Naruto staggered, barely avoiding a woman's punch. His taijutsu was terrible, so he'd have to settle for jutsu. But he didn't know much jutsu. Only the basics.

Only the basics.

He was useless, Naruto thought miserably.

The woman killed one of the shadow clones, her eyes widening in surprise as it disappeared in a cloud of smoke. Shocked, she stumbled backwards and her grip loosened.