16. Trust

Haku blinked. This...was for him?

Ken grinned at him, presenting the bedroom with a flourish.

"I didn't know you had a guest room!" Naruto cocked his head to the side, popping his head in through the doorway.

Ken swatted at his head. "You always sleep on my bed anyways. I used to use this room mainly for storage, but now Haku can have it!"

Haku's eyes softened as Ken and Naruto began chatting about their next mission. He crossed the room to the window and squinted out to the bright, bustling street.

Ken seemed to notice his hesitance. "Oh, Haku! I forgot to put it up, but I bought you these dimmer lights and really thick curtains. I noticed you were a bit uncomfortable in super bright and sunny spots, so I'll install them later today."

Haku managed a weak and grateful smile. "Thank you." The light in his eyes dimmed as he took a seat on the foot of his bed.

Ken beamed at him, her mask slipped onto her chin so it was visible.

Naruto ducked his head, his face unusually hot.

"What is it Naruto?"

Naruto cleared his throat and shook his head. "N-nothing,  nothing. I'm just a little not used to seeing your smile." He grinned. "I should get going, then. Bye, dattebayo! And Haku, welcome to Konoha!"

As the door closed, Ken joined Haku in his spot on the bed.

Haku stared at the closed door. "Doesn't Naruto spend nearly every night here?"

Ken hummed. "Yeah, but he wanted to give you some space. He knows how it feels, y' know, to be a bit overwhelmed in a new experience. Too many people can set you off." She smiled. "That's okay. It's just us for now, but you can join us on missions if you're up for it."

Haku nodded, and Ken looked at the empty bookshelf on the wall. "You like to read, don't you Haku? I was gonna call a friend and take a few of his books so you could read in your free time, but maybe I should buy you clothes, first..."

Haku shook his head, murmuring quietly. "You don't need to buy me anything. I'll pay for it, somehow."

Ken looked hesitant, but agreed. Money didn't grow on trees, and Ken herself had to pay for food, medicine, supplies, the rent. "Okay, but I'm still getting you some books. My friend'll give them up for free. And I'll help pay for your supplies and clothes until you can start going on missions, kay?"

Haku just sat there, fiddling with his fingers.

Ken allowed him to sit in silence, instead tracing circles on his hand hypnotically. She looked up when Haku released a shaky breath, then inhaled erratically. "I miss him." He whispered.

Ken wrapped her arms around him, squeezing tightly in a comforting embrace. Haku closed his eyes and tried not to think about anything other than evening out his breathing.

Ken was silent, letting Haku calm down and match her breaths. She released him and smiled softly.

"I'll go pick up those books. You want to come?"

Haku clutched his shirt, right above his heart that was finally back to beating normally. He opened his eyes and remembered how everything went so..numb when he wasn't near Ken. He nodded.

Ken brightened. "Cool! I just need to run to my room and finish getting ready." She turned crossed the hall into the bedroom directly across from his. Haku never lifted his gaze from her until the door clicked shut.

Haku ran a hand through his long hair, sighing as his shoulders drooped. 'Maybe this isn't so bad.' He sat there quietly for a few minutes, toying with a strand of hair.