Chapter Fifty-Eight

A/N: Good. God. I have literally had the longest week and I nearly forgot again that today was update day. On the bright side, I started rewatching Brooklyn Nine-Nine so life isn't that terrible.

Side note, this chapter is a little on the shorter side, but I really don't want to finish up Civil War in like two chapters lmao so expect the chapters to be a bit shorter maybe until after Civil War.

Also, I only have 1 chapter prewritten after this and it's my busy time of year so updates might be a little late, but I promise I'm trying my best!

————————————————————
"Oh, yeah.

It'd be great if we had a Hulk right about now.

Any shot?"
————————————————————

"Great. Come on, guys, get me eyes on Barnes. Go," Ross ordered.

Barnes.

Barnes.

Sergeant Barnes.

H-Help my wife.

Howard!

He's alive.

Adelaide stumbled, falling onto the console table behind her and knocking it over. Her head hit the glass pane behind her and her vision blurred, but the pain didn't register in her mind as her mind swirled in confusion.

Howard!

"Adie?" Tony said worriedly, helping her up. The room spun and the edges of her vision faded to black. The billionaire studied her expression curiously. "Hey, you okay?"

"Now is not the–" Ross started.

"Save it," Tony grumbled without looking away from the teenager, cutting him off. Ross sighed, turning away to bark orders to the others.

"What happened?" he asked, rubbing her back as he helped her into a chair, "Are you okay?"

"Who's Barnes?" she asked, hoping with everything she had that she was wrong. Her voice sounded far away and faint. Tony hesitated, studying her face before answering.

"The Winter Soldier. Buchanan Barnes," he answered and her blood turned cold.

H-Help my wife.

Howard!

She looked up into the eyes of the billionaire, hovering over her with the most worried expression masking his face. Adelaide saw him, like really saw him. This wasn't happening. She couldn't have done this. It couldn't have been her. She closed her eyes, wishing this nightmare would go away. She didn't want to lose him; she really, really loved this man with her whole existence. She bit her cheek in frustration until the taste of blood flooded her mouth again. His hand was still rubbing her back and she pulled away, disgusted by herself as tears pricked her eyes.

He was standing here, worried about her when all she could think about was his parents' last words before she had killed them.

"Go," she breathed, "I'm fine."

Tony glanced over his shoulder and Ross gave him a stern look. He turned back to the teenager, searching her face. He wanted to stay, but he couldn't ignore the sirens flashing and the rogue assassin on the loose.

"Stay here," he ordered before turning away. He would deal with her later. She watched his retreating figure as he ran towards the other man who had been there the night his parents were killed.