4.

"I like the night.. without the dark, we would never see the stars."

••••

So as it happens, Lucas wins the toss and gets to drive and Becca obviously sits in the shotgun. Consequently, Kai and I end up in the back seat.

But luckily for me, he sticks to his side and I stick to mine. There is good distance between us.

As Lucas starts driving I try to focus my attention anywhere other than the two lovebirds. I try to see the route but it's so dark that it's no use. My eyes then drift to Kai.

He is sitting perfectly still, one elbow on the windowsill, looking outside just to avoid my eye. I could make that out.

With a small gasp I notice his eyes are hazel coloured. It feels as if there is a hint of real gold in his iris. Without realising, I shift towards him to get a better look at his eyes.

At that exact moment he turns his face towards me and his eyes widen. My eyes widen too and I jump back. My head hits the door.

Becca turns her neck. "You all right Elena?" She asks.

"Yeah. Yea I'm fine."

She smiles and turns back. Kai's smile could be felt all the way here.

"What were you doing?" He asks.

I finally, actually face him. "Your eyes. I just noticed they are different. They are very pretty by the way." I tell honestly.

He scratches the back of his neck again and refuses eye contact. "Thanks I guess."

"Did I say something wrong?" I ask. I have zero experience of interaction with boys.

"No no. It's just.. it was very sudden." He makes eye contact again.

I smile and I notice his expression changes. It's like he is seeing me for the first time. "I'm sorry for that day."

He looks away again. I guess forgiveness is not one of his good traits.

"I.. you startled me and I lost control and then you were soo close.." Do my words make any sense?

"I'm not following." He tells honestly.

"It's just very complicated." I rest my case here. It will take a lot of courage and.. trust to tell him everything both of which I don't have right now.

He doesn't force me to elaborate and nods. It's nice. My whole life people have been asking me questions like what's wrong.. are you okay.. is something the matter etc etc. Having someone not asking them feels good.

We reach the restaurant in no time and settle on a table for four with nice ambience. Becca sits opposite to me and Kai next to me.

They order stuff like soup for starters while I order a green salad. Kai gives me a look. I know they must be thinking I'm a health concious girl but I have to maintain a strict diet if I want to lead a normal life.

Becca and Lucas get lost in their own little bubble while I just stare at the way they hold each other's hand and steal glances at one another.