23.

It doesn't matter what's been written in your story so far, it's how you fill up the rest of the pages that counts.

▪▪▪▪

"Midterms are over!!" Anna shrieks in my ear. I laugh at her glee before shifting my attention back to my phone. "Texting Kai?" She gives me a side look and nudges me.

"No I'm calling Chris. I haven't seen her since mid terms started." I tell. It rings but she doesn't pick up.

"Oh that reminds me, your sister's boyfriend is hot Elena. He exudes such mysterious vibes.."

"Chris isn't dating anyone." I cut her.

She raises a brow. "Pretty sure she is. I saw her with him at a party a few weeks ago. And they were making out."

Is that really true? But why would she hide it from me? We sisters share everything.

"Hey, over there, isn't that Chris?" Anna points at a girl.

It's Chris. She is jogging towards us but her attention is somewhere else. "I'll catch up with you later Anna."

I run to meet her midway.

"Chris." I call.

She finally notices me. And she doesn't look as pleased as I imagined she would. I was expecting her to give her signature teeth smile and hug me like a bear.

She slows down and eventually halts in front of me. "Elena." Is the only thing she says.

"Hey where have you been? I haven't seen you lately."

"Oh it was just because of the Midterms."

"Okay.. so how did they go?"

"Good. Pretty good."

She pushes her hairs out of her face. That's when I notice a mark on the side of her face. It's a bruise.

"What happened?" I lean closer to inspect.

She steps back. And finally she gives me the smile I've been longing for. "I bumped into the wall yesterday as I woke up."

"You're a walking disaster for a few minutes after you wake up." I shake my head as I say this.

We both laugh at this.

"Hey I've to submit this project to the professor and I'm kinda getting late."

"Oh. Yeah, go. See you later?"

"Sure." And she jogs off.

Is it just me or the conversation we had had a different vibe... like it was forced.. or that Chris really didn't want to talk to me.

--------------------------------------

Just when I am about to unlock my room, Lucas comes to me running.

"Hey how did your last exam go?" I ask. "You know what, we all should go out somewhere tonight. It's been soo long. Do you know of a pl..."

He raises a hand to stop me. "You have to come with me. Kai got in a fight with his father at the cafe. It's bad."

He takes my hand and makes me run along with him. "His father? Here? Now? Kai didn't tell me his parents were coming."

"They came here to surprise him. And as always things didn't end up being good. It's worse than last time." He tells, increasing his speed and dragging me along with him.