17.

"Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

▪▪▪▪

"Bro, get your ass out of the bed and go take a shower. You can't avoid this." Lucas hits me with a pillow.

"Can't I take your shift at the cafe today?" I look up at him expectantly.

"No way." He rejects instantly. Then he sighs. "Think about your mom if not dad. They are coming all the way here to meet you."

"You know what happened last time. I don't think this time will be any different. He will get mad and create a scene and mom will cry and so it goes." I say it half to myself and half to him.

"You are no better yourself. You say stuff which provokes him." He chastises.

"I just can't help it." I groan and dig my face back into my pillow.

It's frustrating. I know what is bound to happen and still I have to witness it again. Maybe Lucas is right and I shouldn't provoke him but I forget this when he is around.

He throws his gym bag on his shoulder and puts on his shoes. "Crazy idea but maybe it'll help. Take Elena with you. She is the only one who can help control the situation."

My eyes widen. "Oh my god! You're a genius. I love you my friend." I give him a bro hug and he laughs.

"Don't get so hyped. She will never agree." He winks and then proceeds towards the door. "See you at lunch." And he leaves.

As soon as he leaves I grab my phone and call Elena. She doesn't pick up. Strange. She always picks up. I call her again before deciding to just go to her.

I grab the key and enter their room without knocking. I know it's wrong but I'm desperate right now. The room is empty.

I call Becca.

"Hey Kai." She greets.

"Hey Bec. Where are you both?" I ask.

"Both? I am with my lab partner right now. We had to exchange some notes."

"So you don't know where Elena is?"

"She went to take a shower when I left the room. But it has been more than an hour since then. Maybe she is with her other friends."

Okay now I am freaking out. "She won't go without informing you or me."

"Kai. Relax. She will be fine. Check up with Chris. Maybe she's with her."

I give a doubtful response and end the call. Then I call Christina but she hastily tells me to call her back later as she is getting late for her shift at her past time job.

Clearly Elena is not with her. She didn't even take her morning pills. Oh my god!

-------------------------------------

There is a commotion in the washroom.

The girl in the stall beside the one I am in shrieks when I am putting on my shorts.

I hear a muffled, "Sorry."

Kai? No way. This is girl's bathroom.

Before I can comprehend what's happening, the curtain of my stall is pulled back which makes me shriek too. Kai stands in front of me, visibly relieved and panting.

I open my mouth either to scream or ask but he engulfs me in a very tight hug. He pats my head as if I'm need of comforting.

That's when I realise I'm seriously under dressed. I'm just wearing my bra on top and even my shorts are unbuttoned. I push him away.