24.

In the end, we only regret the chances we didn't take.

••••

I knock on his door. It's Lucas who opens it.

"Enter at your own risk." He warns mockingly.

"Wish me luck." I raise a hand and he slaps on it.

"I'm on your side this time." He lowers his tone as he says this.

"I can hear you." Kai says from inside.

"I'm out." With this, Lucas leaves me to deal with my boyfriend.

I carry the three bags inside. He is sitting on his bed apparently very busy with something in his phone but I know his tantrums too well.

He notices I'm having difficulty with the bags and for a second it seems as if he'll come to help. But then he just waves it off.

I place the bags near his dresser and go to him.

"Let's decide how we are gonna fight. We have two options. One, we don't talk to each other and wait until things sort themselves. Two, we argue and sort things out." I suggest.

His face shows surprise. And he almost laughs but he controls himself. "Which one do you prefer?" He asks, getting serious.

"The second one."

He turns his chair to face me. "Okay then."

"Let's start with why are you mad at me?"

He scoffs. "Isn't that obvious? You took my dad's side without even knowing the full matter."

"I did not take anyone's side. I stopped you from saying something that you surely would've regretted saying later."

"I would not have regretted at all. Not after what he said to me and my mom."

"I'm listening."

"So here's what happened. I was showing mom my works on my phone and bragging about how the professor praised me and all. He started getting irritated and grumpy. I kept my calm and did not say or do anything. I carried on talking to mom.

"Then he flipped. He lashed out on my mother for supporting my rebel nature. And also said he's embarrassed to face his friends whose sons are taking over the business meticulously. I just couldn't take his cruel words anymore and lashed out as well. And that is when you came and chastised me." He has a look of utter hurt on his face.

I realise that being stern with him is not the right thing to do. He may have been wrong but he also needs me. I place my hand on his softly. "Have you tried to know why your father got mad suddenly? There must be a reason."

He shrugs.

"He was hurt Kaito. You were only showing and bragging to your mom. You weren't sharing your happiness with your father at all. He made all efforts to travel down here and surprise you to make you happy but you didn't give him credit for anything. You outright ignored him."

He pull his hand away from mine abruptly. "You're still taking his side. He being hurt does not justify him saying I'm a disgrace!"