Chapter 16

Athena

Today's the day. 

The atmosphere in the Valentine household is different today. 

More hectic. More rushed. More tense. 

The day of my wedding has finally arrived. 

Nerves fill my body. Alyssa has come around early in the morning waking me up. Aunt Julia has brought the hairstylist, makeup artist everyone needed to make me look pretty and beautiful. Almost as if it is a real love marriage. 

But this wedding is anything but love. It is arranged. 

Arranged by none other than Mama's last wish. 

"Oh my god, these bags under your eyes darling!" Julia exclaims when she sees the state of my face.

Little does she know I spend the night crying my eyes out.

Looking for an escape. 

Looking for my Mama.

Looking for a way to end my life. 

But I couldn't do it. 

After having a shower my actions are not my own. All I am instructed to do is to sit and let the artists do their work. Once they finish the hair and makeup they don't let me see it instead helping me into my wedding dress. 

A dress I felt magical in and on top of the world in.

"Oh my god Athena honey. You look gorgeous!" I hear Julia's voice and my eyes snap open. I look at the reflection, the person unrecognisable. 

So beautiful. So confident. So strong. 

That can't be me. I look indestructible.

I look like I survived a fucking earthquake. My face covered with subtle makeup and my lips a nude pink colour. My hair in bouncy curls and tied in weird places. But it looks gorgeous. 

And my dress. I knew this dress was the one. I knew it. 

There was something about this dress that reminded me of my mother's. 

My Mama showed me pictures of her wedding before. 

It is a deep v neck dress backless. 

All the top bit is laced and beautiful while the bottom is flowy and airy making me feel like a princess.