21

[Chapter twenty-one]

-Winnie-

I let out a grunt as Flynn flops down right on top of me while I lean against the trunk of a large oak tree in the school courtyard.

"You were right!" His voice comes out muffle due to his face being buried in my stomach.

"About what?" I ask him, making him look up at me.

"I do like Octavia and I was trying to convince myself I don't."

I give him a cheeky grin. "I know, I just wanted to hear you say it."

He rolls his eyes and slaps my thigh, making me yelp and slap the back of his head.

"I am regretting every single one of my life choices from the last twenty-four hours and I want to die." He whines, burying his face back in my stomach.

I run my hands through his hair. "There, there, you poor, stupid child. Tell me everything."

He takes a deep breath before explaining everything that happened last night. By the time he's finished his story, I'm left slightly annoyed.

I love Octavia and all, but does she really think she can use that as an excuse to sleep with Flynn? My best friend? Not only that, but she doesn't have the right to be feeling hurt enough to have to get drunk then try to use someone as a distraction then feel hurt after being rejected by them.

Don't get me wrong, it sucks that the guy she loved for years, doesn't love her back. And he shouldn't have used her to try and convince himself he's straight. But she shouldn't have forced him to go on dates with her after he said no neither.

I talked to Lucas last night after getting grounded. I used the house phone to call the Anderson residence to talk to him because dad took my phone off me for the night. Who uses the damn landline anymore?!

He had told me he felt pressured to tell Octavia he's gay because he felt awful leading her on like that -as he should- and would rather her hate him for the rest of his life than go through with sleeping with her, even though she was the one that was kind of forcing it. He's also been calling and texting her everyday and apologising. She doesn't even answer. Lucas was basically pushed out of the closet. On his face. He wasn't able to come out in his own time and he resents Octavia for that.

She doesn't know what it's like to be anything but straight in the world. She doesn't know what it's like to feel scared because of homophobic people and such. And admittedly, neither do I, but I try to understand him as much as I can, which Octavia hasn't bothered to do, instead choosing to wallow in her own self-pity of him not loving her the same way she loves him.

So no, my sister doesn't have the right to be as hurt as she is. Octavia and Lucas are both in the wrong, but at least Lucas has been trying to fix things.

I need to have a little chat with my dear sister.

I shake myself out of my thoughts and pull a zip-lock back of chocolate chip cookies out of my bag, handing them to Flynn. "Listen, you can come over after school and spill your guts then, alright? But for now, I need to talk to Octavia."

He nods slightly. "Okay."

I ruffle his hair and stand up, rushing into the school building. When I get to my locker, I find Adonis and Kamri staring at something down the hall. I roll my eyes as I walk up next to them and see what it is.

"Can I yell across this crowed hallway and tell her she's an idiot?" I ask Adonis and Kamri as we watch Octavia flirt with one of the meatheads from the football team.

"Yes, but also no." Kamri answers as we stare down the hall at my sister.

"What the fuck does that mean?" Adonis mumbles, none of us taking our eyes of my sister as we glare daggers into her back.

"Who the fuck are you creeps stalking?" We all jump and turn around at Flynn's voice

"No one."

"A chicken running around the school."

"My sister flirting with one of your shit-for-brains teammates."

We all answer at the same time. Adonis and Kamri both slap the back of my head simultaneously as my answer registers in their heads.

"Ow, don't touch what you can't afford." I huff out, smoothing down my hair as they glare at me.

Flynn narrows his eyes at us suspiciously before looking in the direction we were staring in mere minutes ago, his face dropping.

"She doesn't remember." He mumbles dejectedly.

Adonis bites his lip. "To be fair, you did tell her while she was drunk because she wouldn't remember."

Kamri elbows his side harshly.

"Not helping." She hisses.

"Well, I guess a part of me was hoping she would remember and feel the same way." Flynn admits. "As fucking stupid as that sounds."

I clench my jaw in anger.

Being an idiot is one thing, but making my best friend sad is another.

I spin around on my heels and start stomping down the hallway. "Octavia, you fucking idiot!"

She turns around when she hears my voice and looks at me in confusion.

"Wha—" I don't let her finish talking before I grab her arm and drag her out the back doors of the school where no one would bother us. She rips her arm from my grip, glaring at me. "What the fuck, Windora?!"

"Don't 'what the fuck, Windora' me, dumbass!" I explode.

She stares at me in shock. "What the hell is your problem?!"

"You're my problem, Octavia!"

She keeps her face stoic but I know that sentence hurt her, and I know I'll feel bad about it later but for now, I can't bring myself to care.

"What did I do?!"

"Listen, I know you're hurt because the person you love, doesn't love you back, but you can't go around using random guys as a distraction!" I explain to her angrily. "Especially not my best friend!"

"I—" she cuts herself off and looks at me sadly. "Lucas lead me on, Winnie."

"Yes, he did." I try to empathise with her. "But you also sort of forced him into shit. And I know that's no excuse for him to have followed through, but you're not exactly innocent either."

"What did I do?"

"You basically forced him out of the closet." I tell her. "On his face."

She looks down. "I—"

"I'm not finished talking." I cut her off. "Don't think I didn't notice all the looks you gave Flynn and I whenever we held hands or something. You didn't have the right to be upset about it. You were pining after Lucas. If you think you might have feelings for Flynn, then you need to be all for him. You can't just be using him as a distraction. I know what happened last night and I know you remember everything."

"Yeah...I do." She confesses. "He likes me, Winnie."

I roll my eyes. "I know! He has for a year now!"

"I know!" She exclaims. "What do I do?!"

"You get your shit together, stop trying to fuck other guys as a distraction, sort shit out with Lucas, and stop being an idiot!"